Please sign in to post.

Madrid or Barcelona

I'm going on a trip to Europe this summer. I can't decide whether to hit Barcelona or Madrid. I would be going to Zaragoza next and from there to Paris. Which one would you recommend?

Posted by
1178 posts

I have visited both cities, and you will not go wrong with either! Barcelona is on the sea coast with ample history and entertainment. The Gaudi influence is strong. Las Ramblas, the broad walkway to the statue of Columbus is vibrant at all times.

Madrid has so much to offer as well. Puerta del Sol reopened in October. It is the place where all roads in Spain originated. The Park Reitro, Plaza Mayor, The Royal Palace, and so many other attractions easily accessible.

Flip a coin and take whichever....

Posted by
284 posts

Carson,

The two cities are great and have a different feel. One feels more vibrant and modern (Barcelona) while the other is more regal and grand (Madrid).

From an artistic perspective:
- Barcelona has Gaudi, Miro, Picasso, Las Ramblas, etc.

• Madrid has a Royal Palace, Prado, Royal Gardens, Royal Monastery (sp?), Reina Sofia, Plaza Mayor, etc.

For sites that are good for a day trip:
- Barcelona has the beach, Monserrat, headquarters of Codorniu, Dali Museum in Figueres, etc.

• Madrid has Avila, Segovia, Toledo, Cordoba, etc.

Both have wonderful food (4 Cats in Barcelona and Botin in Madrid are favorites of mine) and good public transportation.

You can't go wrong with either one.

Enjoy,
Edwin

Posted by
705 posts

In addition to the above, one has FC Barcelona; the other Real Madrid.

I'd choose Barcelona, 2008-09 Champions League winner, and head for Camp Nou! :)

Posted by
811 posts

Hi Carson,

There was recently a discussion on this very topic, and you might find it helpful in addition to the comments already posted here.

The thread can be found HERE

Good luck in deciding - like others have said, you can't go wrong either way!