Please sign in to post.

Madeira

I'm traveling to my great grandparents birthplace in September. I'm eager to absorb the best it offers. I welcome any 'go to' spots or impressions of visits. Thank you!

Posted by
1538 posts

Thhis is a copy of a reply we made in response to a question in August. Hope it's helpful. My family is from Madeira and my husband and I spent a week there in 2006 and loved it. In Funchal we stayed at Apartamentos da Se which is on a pedestrian street (it opens to cars from 8pm to 9am so it's great for parking your rental car) near the Se (Cathedral). It had a kitchenette and the hotel also had a rooftop patio with great views. We also stayed across the island in Ponta Delgada at Casa da Capelinha. Our room came with a kitchen and great room with sofa and dining table and a balcony. This hotel is in a converted manor house and also has a modern building with the same type rooms. We were lucky to stay in the old house which has great character. During our week there we drove all over the island. You can visit Eira do Serrado for great views, Curral das Freiras, Pico dos Barcelos, Miradouro do Cabo Girao. Pico do Areeiro and Paul da Serra have great views and hiking as well. You can visit a basket factory in Camacha. Porto Moniz, Ribeira Bravo and Camara de Lobos are towns with great views and character. And of course the historic sites in Funchal. We were there in September so don't know what the weather would be in November. We can't find the site we used for help with our driving itinerary but here are a couple of sites you can visit and I'm sure you can find more. http://www.madeiraguide.co.uk/island-tour.shtml
http://www.madeira-web.com/PagesUK/index.html

Posted by
1986 posts

Also from my reply to the similar question- there is the Church at "Monte" (used to be you could ride a sled down from there on the cobblestone streets down into Funchal. A fishing village along the coast made famous by Winston Churchill painting there (very scenic), and of course Madeira wine shops all over Funchal.