Please sign in to post.

Lyon, France

Yearly I travel to Colmar, Strasbourg...the Alsace region to assist in the English Second Language classroom. This will be my third trip, but I would like to visit a different region close to Alsace. I am considering Lyon. I have two and half days in Lyon, what recommendations of what to see or restaurant you would share with your fellow traveller? Merci!

Posted by
295 posts

We spend six weeks in Lyon last summer. I can provide some ideas if you can narrow down your likes and dislikes. History? Art? City walks? Gardens? Perhaps a traditional puppet show? Do you speak French? Thanks!

Posted by
27 posts

I hope to visit at least 2 museums. If I was travelling in later part of spring gardens would be a necessity. I am look regional food taste. Thank you, in advance.

Posted by
320 posts

Lisa: For dining options in Lyon (often called the gastronomic heart of France) there are lots of choices from Michelin starred (like Paul Bocuse) to the local bouchons. For a wonderful description of dining in the bouchons of Lyon google up the R.W. Apple story in Savuer magazine - you wont be disappointed. Have fun!

Posted by
2186 posts

We are history buffs, so we really enjoyed their WWII museum. I think I've got this right, that Lyon was the headquarters of the Vichy govt. It won't take long, but it is very well done. It's across the river near the university. There is also a museum on silk and silk scarves and that is really fascinating. They have a fascinating old town area as well as fantastic food. This is a place we would have loved to spend more time.

Posted by
4684 posts

The Centre d'Histoire de la Resistance et de la Deportation is closed until autumn this year, unfortunately.

Posted by
206 posts

When in Lyon, I enjoyed strolling through the older neighborhoods, taking the funicular to the church and the Roman ruins and going to the silk museum. :-)

Posted by
3250 posts

There are many great restaurants in Lyon! I hesitate to make a recommendation because we ate in several and they were all great! One that we especially liked for it's atmosphere as well as the food was La Nef Des Fous (5 rue du boeuf, 69005 Lyon, France.) If you're in Lyon on the week-end, check out the week-end market along the Saone River.

Posted by
295 posts

There are a lot of restaurants in Lyon, and most of them are excellent. Stay on the Rue Mercerie and you can't go wrong (the restaurants in Vielle Lyon aren't quite as good, my opinion only). The view from Forviere Hill is great, as is the funicular trip up. The Roman Museum is good, but the one in Vienne, less than 30 minutes south by train, is remarkable, as is the walk through the town. Try to see a performance by the Guignol puppet show. You'll need to call in advance, as showing up the same day won't work - they'll be sold out. The municipal art museum is quite good, but not up to Parisian standards. An evening walk down the Rue de la Republique, from Place Bellecour to Place Terreaux to see the Bertholdi horses fountain is quite wonderful. The Parc de la Tete D'Or is wonderful. It has a free small zoo, excellent historic greenhouses, and other attractions. Rent a city bike at the entrance. I spent three days wandering around Croix Russe, but it wasn't my favorite part of the city. The area south of the Gare Perrache is similarly uninteresting, except for the new apartment buildings under construction. Mainly, Lyon is a city to relax an enjoy. See some sights, but then just amble everywhere without worrying about seeing anything. Ambling into the traboules in the old city is fun. Best brief guide: City Spots Lyon (with Perouges and Vienne) by Thomas Cook. Best comprehensive guide for Lyon and region: Lyon-Rhone (Gallimard). The Gallimard series is costly (about E26) but thorough, and I assume from your description you speak French and love France. Enjoy! I love Colmar and Strasbourg, and you will love and enjoy Lyon!

Posted by
27 posts

MERCI! to all you globetrotters. I am excited for my third trip to Alsace. All of your recommendations will be tested.

Posted by
4 posts

Re: below comment that "Lyon was the capital of the Vichy government": I shook my head so hard, the cat fell off my lap. Lyon was the "capital" of the Resistance Movement. A LOT of brave people lost their lives to help others and to put an end to WWII. Sorry, Lisa, this doesn't answer your question.

Posted by
4 posts

The Centre d'Histoire de la Resistance et de la Deportation is now re-opened, but unfortunately whatever English had been posted is now gone. All of the descriptions are in French. Also, the staff when asked are unaware of any audioguides, English or not. There are some video displays of individuals recollecting their experiences that have English subtitles available, but include only a single headphone or speaker. If you're not alone you've got to take a lot longer at these displays (2-10 min. each) or else squish together and try to share. If you are French-limited, the museum is sadly very hard to engage with now. Hopefully this will be rectified in the future but until then, be aware.