Please sign in to post.

Luxembourg

Ihvae 3 days after business in Bussels and want to visit Luxembourg. How do I get there, is there a cheap flight? Is there a nice hotel to stay in that someone can reccomennd? Finally what to do for 3 days in Luxembourg?

Posted by
2712 posts

They are only about 150 miles apart, so I don't think you want to fly. I assume you can get a train, but I haven't been there, though I am currently considering a trip to Belgium this fall.

Just out of curiosity, how did you decide to spend three days in Luxembourg when you don't know what there is to do there?

Posted by
19092 posts

Carrol, I was about to ask the same thing. Why does he want to go to Luxembourg but not know anything about what to do there? I guess he just wants to brag to his friends that he has been to "Luxembourg".

Twenty years ago, I finished a business trip in Brussels, then went by train to Strasbourg for the night. Seems that after a short time, maybe an hour, we went through Luxembourg. I blinked and missed it. It's not very far from Brussels.

Why do Americans always assume that they must fly everywhere? The beauty of Europe is that the rail system is so good (downtown to downtown) that there is no need to fly.

Posted by
12040 posts

Luxembourg City is about a 3 hour train ride from Brussels (not sure why it takes so long by train, it takes less than 90 minutes to drive).

I probably wouldn't spend 3 days here, but it's at least worth a quick visit. The capital city's main "site" is it's unique layout. It sort of spills over a cliff into a ravine. Ramparts line the edges of the ravine and these are a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Other than that... pleasant, almost prototypical European city, but not a whole lot to occupy a visitor on a site-seeing tour.

Posted by
116 posts

Good description Tom. I took that slow 3 hour train from Brussels just to check out Luxembourg and enjoyed it for a day, but there wasn't enough there to keep me longer. It does have a nice European flair to it with the historical buildings, sidewalk cafes and restaurants, and pedestrian only center. The green space in the ravine is a nice walk in the park. General George Patton is buried there at an American military cemetery. There is a good bus tour that makes the circuit throughout the day that pretty much shows you all the highlights. If you do want to stay, here's some options: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g190356-Luxembourg_City-Hotels.html . Mark, you live in Rick's hometown so head on over to Europe Through the Back Door and talk to the good folks there, they can answer all your questions. You can also browse their library full of guidebooks and maps. It's a fun way to spend the day.

Posted by
2876 posts

Luxembourg can be very interesting if you're a WWII history buff. The American military cemetery in Luxembourg city is very beautiful. General Patton is buried there. The nearby German military cemetery is very interesting too. If you go to the northern part of Luxembourg, the historic Belgian town of Bastogne is just over the border. Nearby are other Battle of the Bulge sites like Malmedy & St. Vith. We did this by car in '07. The Luxembourg countryside is beautiful. Near Bastogne, we stayed at the charming Domaine du Moulin d'Asselborn countryside hotel in Asselborn, Luxembourg. If it were me, I'd rent a car and do it that way.

Posted by
19092 posts

On the other hand, Luxembourg is close to the German city of Trier and to the Mosel valley.

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks for your responses, I will look to Germany for my 3 days and skip Luxembourg.

Posted by
6788 posts

Not so fast.

While I think the descriptions of the capital city are fairly accurate (worth a stop, god for a few hours of relaxed sightseeing, pretty setting but not "grand" like other European capitals), other parts of Luxembourg are great. Consider a day or two in the north, in and around the Vianden area. We loved it and want to go back.