Please sign in to post.

Luxembourg

Traveling throughout France and surrounding countries next May. Want to hit Luxembourg, but only briefly. Debating between Luxembourg City or Vianden. Thoughts?

Posted by
515 posts

Hey David! I just got back from Luxembourg and loved it. I was there with my parents for 3 days and saw pretty much the whole country. Luxembourg city is ugly and busy. Vianden is gorgeous, nice castle and cool city. If you have a day, see the east and north and possibly west. The south has nothing to offer.

Posted by
403 posts

We just returned from visiting both places. Lux City is nice and the Bock Casements are very cool to visit, but of the two, I would pick Vianden. The town is darling and the castle well worth a visit. You can take a cable car up the hill and then walk downhill to the castle. There is a restaurant with a nice view patio at the top of the cable car (which is really a ski resort type chair lift). If you are adventurous, you can walk 10 min. through the woods at the top to the Indian Forest. This is a ropes course strung among the trees, safety equipment and training provided. This was a high point of the trip for us!
If you have a full day, you could easily see the casemates in Lux City in the morning and pay an afternoon visit to Vianden. They are about an hour apart.

Posted by
1840 posts

We were in Luxemburg City eightteen months ago for three full days. It is not ugly! It is busy. There is no sales tax. Shopping is good. We found a backstreet bar that we would go back to.