Please sign in to post.

Looking for input on possible itinerary May 2012.

First time to Europe: have ~ 3.5 weeks. Kind of overwhelmed at this point trying to narrow down options. We love the outdoors, hiking, wine/food, local culture and history. Things set in stone: week long villa rental in Tuscany with friends (time frame likely 5/5/12-5/12/12; time in Amsterdam to visit daughter attending education abroad - otherwise, flexible. Current plan - fly into Zurich 4/29, have 3-5 days before taking train to Florence for week in Tuscany. Would like reccs for Switzerland for ~ 3-5 days. After Tuscany, fly from Florence/Milan to Amsterdam to visit daughter attending education abroad. We then have 10 days to spend in Amsterdam, Belgium and Paris before taking train to Zurich for return flight home 5/23 or 5/24. Looking for a balance between countryside/quiet and city activity. Looking at train schedules, seems to make sense to get 3 country rail pass (Benelux, France, Switzerland) vs point-to-point. Feedback appreciated. What are thoughts re: how to split up the last 10 days?

Posted by
1488 posts

At first I was going to advise you to look into flying home from Paris instead of going all the way back to Zurich, but then I looked at your dates again. The Lauterbrunnen Valley in Switzerland is one of my favorite places in the world. April and May however, are probably the two worst months to visit Switzerland if you are planning on hiking. If they have a mild winter you actually might be able to do some hiking by the 20th of May or so. I doubt all the trails will be free of snow by then, but possibly enough that it might be worth your while. I wouldn't count on being able to do much hiking at the beginning of your trip, but you certainly would still be able to enjoy the scenery. If you're willing to give up Switzerland at the end of your trip then I would suggest spending some time in the countryside in France before your return flight. You could head to Normandy, the Loire Valley, Mont St. Michel or Burgundy. I personally enjoy the French countryside much more than Paris. I would go from Amsterdam to Brugge to French countryside and end in Paris.

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks for the input. We won't be spending anytime in Switzerland at the back end of the trip as we'll just be returning to Zurich for the return flight home. We're going in and out of Zurich due to low cost of flight and mid-range location for the 2 non-negotiable travel locations- Italy and Amsterdam. Is there a preferable train route from Zurich to Florence (we have 3 days to get there) to maximize scenery or places to stop?

Posted by
788 posts

I think your main question is how to spend those last 10 days, between Amsterdam, Belgium and Paris. Also, you're looking for a balance between countryside/quiet and city activity. So are you thinking you want to spend some of your 10 days in Amsterdam/Belgium/Paris in the countryside? Or would your countryside time be the week-long villa stay in Tuscany? Assuming that's the case, how you spend your Amsterdam/Belgium/Paris time depends on what your interests are. We visited Amsterdam and Belgium for the first time two years ago, and loved it - we're going back this Spring. The culture, the people, the beauty of Amsterdam, the food in Brussels, and the art, particularly in Amsterdam (I'm a huge art fan). But Paris, we keep returning to. It's got the same, just the Parisian version - art, culture, beauty and of course food. Generally, I would suggest maybe 5 nights Paris, 2 nights Belgium (Brussels or Bruge), 3 nights Amsterdam.

Posted by
33123 posts

I'm easily confused and if you answered this in another thread, Carol, I apologize. I don't read these messages by thread, I usually read by chronological posting - the Classic way. Your OP said you wanted to take 3 to 5 days in Switzerland, yet your reply above to Jill says you want to do it in 3. ?? Do you want 3 days in Switzerland and then travel to Florence, or do you want 2 and then a day of travel? Does the 2 or 3 include your landing in Zürich day? If so, you only actually have 1 day. The first day you land, get to your first night place, collapse, check in, collapse, try not to sleep, get over jet lag. You have one day in your Swiss paradise, then pack up and the next day on the train for at least 6 or 7 hours depending where you were the next night. At that time of year you probably won't enjoy the Berner Oberland as it will be mud and mostly closed. Luzern would likely work well. Well connected to the main line from Zürich to Milano where you then change to the Firenze train. Also from Luzern it is easy to get onto the Vierwaldstaettersee (Lake Lucerne) if there is a boat going, or up to the cable car or the (world's steepest) cog-train up Mt Pilatus - to say nothing of enjoying the lovely city of Luzern.

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks for the advice Lexman and Nigel. You are not confused Nigel - the # of days in Switzerland did change and is still not settled because the start date of the villa will either be 5/3 or 5/5. Sorry for the confusion! This trip is very much a work in progress. Thanks for the ideas about Luzern- will look into that. Lexma, your ideas about timing in Amsterdam, Belgium and Paris are consistent with what others have said, so I appreciate that. More work to do!