Please sign in to post.

Long Term Stay in Paris

Fellow Lovers of Paris, Within the next 5 years I plan on living in Paris for one year. This may not be the correct place to ask for help, but I respect the information and feedback on this site. I am starting my research now to be certain I am well prepared. I need to know information about long term rentals, legal aspects of living there for an extended stay, banking, apartment rentals, budget considerations, books to read, websites, any information is appreciated. I will not be working and using this stay as an entry into retirement. Thank you for your help and ideas.

Posted by
9423 posts

A regular poster on this site just did exactly what you hope to do. If you put "BG" in the search box you will find her and can send her a PM. AdrianLeeds.com might be a good resource. She is often on House Hunters International (a tv show), she helps people find a place to live and get settled. Also, InternationalLiving.com is very helpful. In addition to their website they have country specific books on how to do what you hope to do. Good Luck! It's my hope to do the same someday...

Posted by
9693 posts

The main thing you'll need to do is look at the French government's requirements for someone in your situation requesting to live here. That will be mostly on the Interior Ministry's website, but the best place to start would be the French Embassy (specifically the Consulate) in DC. A good resource used by people who've done what you want to do is the website anglo-info.com.

Posted by
410 posts

I suggest your very first step is to check the French Embassy website for the process for applying for a long term residency visa. Follow up with a phone call or visit to said Embassy for clarification or to ask questions. The long term residency visa may be for 12 months - I only know for Spain but last time I looked it was similar for France, as were the requirements for obtaining a long term visa. For Spain, we had to prove we had accommodation so this may be the same for France. Similarly private health cover, proof of income, police check, medical clearance. From there, you can make more detailed plans. Good luck, it sounds fabulous.

Posted by
32919 posts

debbie you might try to find a copy of Living and Working in France by David Hampshire. I have a previous edition and it is quite helpful. Yes, I know you aren't working, but it is a good guide.

Posted by
893 posts

My advice is that for now, you focus on saving money. You can start learning French now, or wait until a few years before you wish to go to start. You can give the current requirements to live in France a cursory glance to make sure that there's nothing that would exclude you. But I suggest you wait until about a year before you want to move to look at the requirements. Becaue they are a moving target and 4 years from now, they may not look at all like they do today. The paperwork I had to provide to renew my resident card in March was a whole lot more than what I provided just two years previously to renew.

Posted by
196 posts

Hey Debbie, I am retiring next year and planning to do the same thing in the next couple of years. I lived in Paris for two years after college and was an au pair to two French-American boys and have always wanted to go back (other than a quick vacation).
A couple of things: You must make an appointment for a long term visa at what the French call your "local jurisdiction" and the appointment will be in person; no letter, email, etc. The appointment can be no sooner than 12 weeks in advance of travel and the the appointment time must be made on-line using a computer with only Mozilla Firefox as the browser (welcome to the wacky world of French bureaucracy!). As others have said, go to the French consulate website for all info. Personally, due to three Irish-born grandparents (all you need is one), it appears I can apply for an Irish passport and I can avoid the French requirements with a lot less hassle and travel and live as I want all over Europe. Got any Irish blood in you?? Good Luck!

Posted by
132 posts

Hello Everyone I appreciate your insight and feedback. Here's to saving a lot of money and looking forward to Paris one day very soon. Warm regards,
Debbie

Posted by
985 posts

@Tom As an Irish/EU citizen you will be treated the same as a French citizen, so in most cases you don't need to do anything, except perhaps register yourself at the town hall in the place you decide to base yourself. As a retired EU citizen you are also entitled to a European Health Insurance Card at no charge, which will give you free access to the health services when travelling in Europe. You'll need to apply to the Irish government for this.