Please sign in to post.

Loire Valley

We will be in paris for 3 days this July. We did Versailles and the museum previously . An acquaintance mentioned about LOire Valley. Is this a short daytrip from Paris? If yes, is it worth going? Thanks

Posted by
12040 posts

"Is this a short daytrip from Paris?" Not really. As a daytrip from Paris, you can see one or two chateaux. Getting around by public transit is difficult, so the recommendation is either rent a car or take a bus tour.

Posted by
1878 posts

If you want to see more chateau from Paris, you might consider Vaux-Le-Vicomte, Fontainebleau, or Chantilly. I think the Loire would be a real stretch. Perhaps you have already been to Paris a lot of times, but there is plenty to do in Paris for a week or even two.

Posted by
3313 posts

Even though you've done the museum in Paris, there's still lots to see there. The Loire Valley requires a car to see in a day from Paris and isn't worth it for that short a time. Consider Chartes as a day trip, instead.

Posted by
1010 posts

We were in London and Paris in May/June and in 2009. We took the Gray Line/Cityrama tour to the Loire Valley for the day. Although we only really enjoyed one of the castles, it was still a nice experience. It is a full day of touring, but Gray Line does a good job on all of their tours. Elaine, Missin Viejo, Ca.

Posted by
8293 posts

Elaine, in one of your many other depressing posts you said you saw three castles but "it was not that interesting." Was it or was it not "interesting" and could you kindly tell us if anything at all in France, other than Normandy, was of interest to you? I know Paris was hateful, all those smokers and all. I may say that telling us that all these "not interesting" and "waste of time" (Mont St.Michel) places you went to with Gray Lines is definitely not a thumbs up for that touring company.

Posted by
11507 posts

Elaine,, since the bus tour visits three Chateaus in one day,, which one of the three Chateaus did you enjoy.. and what didn't you enjoy about the other two??

Sally, I did the Cityrame Chateau tour with my child a few years ago and enjoyed all three of the Chateaus,, but then, its all about attitude for some.. It is not however a short daytrip ,, it is a long one, you will leave early in morning,, ( I think it was 7 am) and will return about 8:30 pm. The Loire Valley is best done as an overnight trip, but not everyone has the time to do so,,or they may not wish to rent a car and visit the Chateaus. The tours are a easy way to get a little taste .

Personally with only 3 days there is still lots you haven't seen in Paris,, no matter how often you have been before.

Posted by
37 posts

You could overnight in Blois, and see Blois, Chambord, and Chenonceau. Blois is in the Town, and Chambord and Chenonceau and close by. It's not a day trip, and staying in a town is very different from being in Paris. You'll either need a car, or go with a tour group. We had our own car so we could come and go. It takes about 3-4 hours to see a chateau. Fontainebleau is closer to Paris and was very enjoyable.