Please sign in to post.

Loire Valley

My wife and I will be in the Loire Valley area for a week in May, 2009. We will be traveling south from Bayeux (with a stop to visit the Chartes Cathedral on Monday, May 4. Can we adequately visit the Azay-le-Rideau and Usse (photo only) on our way to our Chinon B&B (3 days)? While in the Chinon area, can we visit the following chateaxs in 2 days: Abbaye Royale de Fontevraud, Langeais, Villandry (gardens only)? Thursday, May 7 we will be in a Amboise B&B for 3 days, can we adequately visit the following sites: Chateau de Close-Luce & da Vinci Park, Chenonceau, Chaumont, Cheverny, Chambord, Blois, Loches? What would be your recommendations relative to the visiting sequence of these sites to save milage and time? RS provides a map that is somewhat confusing. What sites should we eliminate if our travel expectations are too ambitious? We are not too much into detailed history, so would probably not do mcu beyond the audio presentations of these various sites. What would you suggest as an itenerary for these 2 three day Lorie Valley visits? Thanks, Dorsey

Posted by
12040 posts

I'm assuming you will have a rental car. I don't know much about Chinon, but from Amboise, seeing those 7 chateaux over 3 days is reasonable, although you might find yourself a little chateau-ed out after 5 straight days of touring. In general, you can comfortably visit about 2 chateaux per day, and maybe a 3rd if you rush yourself. I can't give you a recommended visiting sequence (don't have a map on hand, and my internet is currently too slow to use online maps), but most hotels or B&Bs in the area can provide you with a free promotional map that shows the locations of all the major chateaux. Don't try to overplan in advanced, because once you get there, you may find that your sight-seeing priorities have changed. If you'll be in Amboise on a Sunday, you may want to budget some extra time for the market. And if you are not renting car... forget everything I said and ask someone who knows about navigating this area by public transportation.

Posted by
354 posts

I found that two chateau per day was about the right number for me. The day I tried to visit three of them, I was mentally exhausted by the time I arrived at the third one. I'm also pretty sure that 5 days of chateau visits would be overload for me - I know everyone is different, and the buildings are unique, but you might research them all, to make sure they all interest you. I used a good road map, but found that I did not need it much. Between the frequent signs and the numerous tour buses, it was fairly easy to find the chateau.

Posted by
525 posts

I agree that two is the right amount. We did Chenonceau (loved it!!!), Chateu d'Amboise, Chateau de Close with the da Vinci park all in one day. By the time we got to da Vinci's home - I was losing steam and unfortunately anxious to get out of there. So my enjoyment of that part waned. Other than those listed, I haven't personally seen your other chateau's listed, but I would say that Chenonceau is a must. If I had more time in Amboise - Chambord and Cheverny would have been next.