Please sign in to post.

Lisbon

My friend and I will be in Lisbon for 2 days in November. Not much time. What do we need to see? Thank you!

Posted by
4535 posts

What interests you? What bores you? We can offer some advice if we know more of what you like and dislike.

Posted by
655 posts

For us that answer would be easy - we thought the Museum Calouste Gulbenkian (the Gulbenkian) was one of the most interesting places that we're ever visited. It contains an outstanding collection and is one of the best values to be found anywhere. Its a gem that is relatively undiscovered. Review the website before your trip to see if it might appeal to you.

Posted by
59 posts

Let's see... we like to see places typical of the cities we visit - something to do or see we cannot do or see at home. We like to try food typical of the country. We like shops that feature products typical of the country. (What is a particular product or craft we should look for?) We like museums. We like "arty" areas or "older" areas of cities and see the architecture. Does that help?

Posted by
392 posts

I have not been to Portugal yet, but I am Portuguese (by which I mean I have relatives there) and planning a trip and they say these pastries are the best: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pastel_de_nata Apparently the Belem district is the best place to get them, and the district itself is worth seeing.

Posted by
1878 posts

I assume (and hope) you mean two full days. That's a tough one, because Lisbon is good for a full four full days. It's not London, Paris, or Rome, but it's a place that will make you want to slow down and just be there. (My wife and I were there in 2008, five nights in Lisboa as part of a two week Portugal trip. Also a brief visit at the start of our honeymoon cruise in 1999). Definitely do a half day in Belem, at a minimum. The stone work in the cloister at the monastery there is like a cake baked by a master chef, only it's in stone truly exquisite. The Tower of Belem and a walk along he waterfront, in view of the bridge that will remind you of the Golden Gate, are two must sees. (We cruised under that bridge in 1999 and drove over it in 2008). Also, take the trolley that runs from the lower town to the Alfama (old town). We liked the castle on the hill, can't remember the name, which was near the Alfama. The Gulbenkian - absolutely visit that museum that guy had really good taste. If you can, stay near the Elevador de Santa Justa, get the transit pass and go to the plaza near the top - amazing views. I would say go to Sintra too, but you do not have enough time. Lisbon is one of the most underrated cities in Europe, in my opinion.

Posted by
4535 posts

I'll add to the list to have a port tasting. It's pretty rare that Americans can really try good port wine (at least those of us with average means). The Port Wine Institute tasting room I visited is at the top of the funicular. Prices per glass are very reasonable. The former convent that was mostly destroyed in the earthquake is a great site if you like architecture. The Gothic ribs hanging in mid-air are stunning and show the average architecture buff how Gothic cathedrals were built (compare that to the amazing Sao Jerome church in Belem). With a short visit, a few places I found just ok: Fado Museum (unless you are really into music or Fado), the main cathedral (a very simple Romanesque era church). My favorite meal was at one of the roast chicken places (mentioned in the RS guide). Amazing roast chicken, especially with the piri-piri sauce. Try it with a vinho verdi wine.

Posted by
23281 posts

You cannot go wrong with the Steves' book on Portugal. The "Show and Go" walking touring for Lisbon described in his book was one of the best walking tours we ever had for 10E. We will do it again when we are there this Fall.

Posted by
355 posts

My two favorites when I visited Lisbon were the Belem and Castelo Sao Jorge. Castelo Sao Jorge is a castle that overlooks the city. It's really beautiful at sunset, overlooking the red tile roofs of the city. I think it is a "must see" when visiting Lisbon.