Please sign in to post.

Liechtenstein

In July I will be driving from Austria to Switzerland. I plan on driving through Liechtenstein to get to Switzerland. I would like to explore Liechtenstein for a few hours. Is there anything worth seeing there?

Thanks!

Posted by
1170 posts

It's been a long time, but I do remember the view from Schloss Vaduz being amazing. We spent a day in Liechtenstein and had them stamp our passport for fun. I believe we had to pay for the honour :-). Can't remember much, but do remember we wandered around the city, and my kids still remember buying cow bells there.

Posted by
850 posts

We did that drive in 2007. We stopped in Vaduz and like Eli, got our passport stamped. The cost should be around 2 euros and although they use the swiss franc they will accept a euro bill but will give you change in swiss franc coins. To get the passport stamp go to the tourist office. There are several souviner shops around. To get a nice view of Vaduz and the surrounding mountains take the hiking trail which goes above Vaduz to the Prince's Castle. The castle is not open to the public as it is the residence of the Prince. Along the hiking route there are signs telling the history of the Principality of Liechtenstein which we found interesting. We spent about 2-3 hours there and enjoyed the short visit. We did not eat there but I have read there is a nice restaurant with reasonable prices called the Old Castle Inn and is located in the center of Vaduz. I also read that speed limits are strictly enforced with hefty fines so be on your p's and q's as you drive through there.

Posted by
22 posts

Wow, thank you both!
I wasn't planning on researching Liechtenstein that much, but I'm very happy to find all this out!