Please sign in to post.

Leipzig

Do you know of a quiet hotel, where 2 old people can walk to the sights?

Posted by
693 posts

Helen, what sights are you particularly interested in? If you want to be near the Thomas Church (Bach is buried there) and the Old Market Square and Rathaus, Auerbach's Keller and Nikolaikirche then you ought to stay in that vicinity or near the Hauptbahnhof. I don't know how old you are and if you're in good shape for walking but that area is walkable, especially with stops at a cafe, of which there are quite a few, some with outdoor seating in good weather. (I like the one across from the Thomas Church on the side where the Bach statue is.) The Augustusplatz with the university tower (Universitaetshochhaus) is also walkable from there. For the Voelkerschlachtdenkmal and the Zoo you'll have to take a streetcar or a bus. There is a public transportation hub in front of the Hauptbahnhof. You didn't mention your budget. The hotels in that area tend to be upscale and mostly old. A friend of mine (she's 86) will be staying at the Park Hotel in a couple of weeks. This is their website: www.park-hotel-leipzig.de
It has an English version. The address is listed under contact on the top bar - Richard Wagner Strasse 7, Leipzig, Germany. If you google the address it will bring up the street map. The location is excellent for walking. There's a Novotel around the corner, as well. I found a relatively much cheaper hotel south of the center of town but the center is easily reached by streetcar. I don't know how quiet it is, though; I haven't checked to see if it has a bar or disco. Personally, I'm considering staying in an apartment about 15-20 min. via streetcar from downtown. Send me a private message if I can be of further help. By the way, there are a couple of nice hotels near the opera but you'd have to cross Augustusplatz to get to the sights.

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks Anna, for your reply. Dresden just seems to have more of the kind of art museums we are interested in, so we are spending 2 nights there, instead of 1 in each city. Now, have you ever been to the big library-abbey in Admont, Austria? (I hope I'm spelling it right) I was surprised to see it Not listed in Fodor's index of Austria, as I had saved a spectacular photo from many years ago, in a travel magazine. Now I'm wondering if I made a wrong choice to travel to it, instead of spending more time driving to Krems, Melk, etc., along the Danube.

Posted by
693 posts

Helen, I've never been to Admont Abbey (yes, you spelled it right). I looked it up on Wikipedia and then went to their website. It looks fascinating. Re Dresden: you do know that the Gruene Gewoelbe sells mostly timed tickets and has just a few for walk-ups? I agree, if you're interested in art museums, Dresden is the better choice. Their websites have English versions, as you probably know. Or perhaps you speak German? When are you going?

Posted by
693 posts

Helen, this is a fascinating video! But now that I've seen it, I can save myself a visit. Dresden and Leipzig are on my itinerary for my next trip; also, the Meissen Porzellan Manufaktur, near Dresden. Are you going there, too? I plan to take a boat ride on the Elbe into the Sandsteingebirge, as well.