Please sign in to post.

Learning French!

I have taken 3 years of french in high school, and now I am moving onto college, and I was wondering if anyone knows how helpful the rosetta stone products are? OR, if there is anything else I could use to improve my fluency?

Posted by
10344 posts

You cannot overdo listening to audio programs of native speakers speaking at a typical rate of speed, because that is one of the big challenges in conversing in France: being able to comprehend what is said to you by native speakers who are not slowing down at the elisions, in response to questions or statements you make to them. Thus, any audio products that give you this experience is valuable.

Posted by
360 posts

I'm doing French Rosetta stone since end of March. I bought all 3 levels & am currently in the middle of level 2. You do get practice speaking & the system critiques you. Have you seen it in practice? They also sponsor a web site where you can speak with other Fr speakers or write them. Many of them are from France. I'm wondering whether you might now know as much as you'll learn with Rosetta stone. if you'd like, I can send you an example of sentences you'll get by the end of level 2 & you can judge if the vocab/verb tenses are too easy for you.

Posted by
3250 posts

I try to look at LeMonde (or any French website would work) online to review words and phrases. I have a French/English dictionary nearby or use the online translator "Babelfish" to review words I don't remember or to look up words I don't know. I make notes of those words and review them from time to time. I haven't used Rosetta Stone but have taken courses through evening continuing education programs. Good luck!

Posted by
4132 posts

Jacinda, nothing is better than live instruction, so if you are starting college, take a class.

The class will provide you with tapes or mp3s tailored that are integrated into the lesson plan, and typically include lots of fun activities--movies, food, etc.

If you still want to buy a language-learning package, your instructor can advise you.

Posted by
111 posts

I'm learning French with Michel Thomas' French Foundation audio courses since I'll be holidaying in Quebec. He's a renowned language teacher. I've tried out his Spanish Foundation course and I was very impressed. He does have French Advanced, French Vocabulary, French Language Builder audio lessons.

Posted by
12040 posts

I would recommend Rosetta Stone for someone who can't take a formal language course, and has 2-3 years to learn. I think their method, in the end, is quite effective, but I do not agree with their slogan, "Fastest Way to Learn a Language, Guaranteed".

Posted by
264 posts

The Pimsleur (Simon & Schuster) program (4 levels) will put you to a high intermediate level in speaking and comprehension. It worked great for me! The instructors speak strictly Parisien French so you will be well understood thorughout France. (The course is expensive but worth every centime!)

Posted by
273 posts

I used Michel Thomas foundation CD's. There are 8 CD's and 2 review CD's. They got me through 2 weeks in France.

Posted by
313 posts

We've also been using Pimsleur's tapes (got them at a discount book store with a damaged package for about $10, so don't know what they usually retail for). I think they build your vocabulary and comprehension very well, although the repetition can get tedious.

Posted by
160 posts

If you have an iPod, you might check out Coffee Break French on iTunes. It's a free product, and the makers also did Coffee Break Spanish, which I found to be a good program - and you can't beat the price. Plus, you can take it along with (again, if you have an iPod) and use it for a refresher.

I've also used One-Day French by Elisabeth Smith. She teaches 50 travel-related words and a couple of phrases in a unique format on a single CD w/cheat sheet. You're probably beyond it, but again it may be a good refresher.

Posted by
8943 posts

I don't speak French, but I know what it was like to learn German. Listen to it as much as possible. See if you can find a French radio station from Canada. Look on DVD's and see if they switch over into French. They all do over here, but not sure about in the US. Ask at your local college if someone is interested in practicing with you. Sometimes you can find people to trade speaking languages. They want to learn English better, you want to learn French. Go to French websites, French Youtube, the more you hear it the faster you will learn it. Try and learn 10 words a day, by the end of the year you will have learned 3,650 new words! Put post it notes on everything in your house with the French words on them. Have never done this, but I wish I would have so I could have learned the German articles better. Bon chance!

Posted by
4 posts

I travel a lot, so I can't take regular classes. I have used the Rosetta Stone, and agree that it does help, but it's definitely not sufficient on its own. If you can find a tutor to speak French with you regularly, that helps (try Craig's list.) I also listen to French radio via the Internet. (http://rfi.fr/) Not only do you get to practice listening, but you get a different perspective on the news!

Posted by
2030 posts

I've had good luck with the Michel Thomas French CDs.