Please sign in to post.

layover in paris

I have a layover in Paris from 11pm until 9am. It will be on our way home from Italy. What can 2 budget travelers do? We want to leave the airport as we have never been to Paris.

Posted by
9110 posts

It's going to be hard. The RER shuts down about the time you'll make your way to the airport station (or at least by the time you'd constructively get to the arrival station). You'll have to be back at the airport by six. That means you could technically catch the first RER B at St Michel/Notre Dame and make it almost in time, but you're still a good ways from the airport station to the counters - - I can make it in ten minutes, but don't have to read signs, etc. To me, that means a taxi which is a budget-buster. You might be able to pull it off by bus, but I don't know how they work. It might not be worth it to pull an all-nighter just to walk around and look at some lights. There are budget hotels in the Accor chain on the airport (with shuttles to the terminals).

Posted by
8700 posts

As Ed said, you'll arrrive too late to catch the last RER B train to Paris. You could take Noctilien (night) buses into the city. Bus N143 leaves Terminal 3 at 00:02 and Terminal 2 at 00:12 and arrives at Gare de l'Est at 00:57. Bus N13 leaves Gare de l'Est at 01:03 and arrives at Saint-Michel Notre-Dame at 01:15. Starting with a look at the Cathédrale Notre-Dame, take a walking tour of the Île de la Cité as time allows. The first RER B train that passes through Saint-Michel Notre-Dame departs at 05:20 and arrives at CDG at 06:01. Since it's wise to be at CDG three full hours before a flight across the Atlantic, taking that train will work for you, but just barely.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks for the quick responses. I think we can manage it as I had the times wrong, We arrive in Paris at 10:05 & depart at 9:20. should be able to take advantage of buses rather than cabs. Again, thanks!

Posted by
1068 posts

Karen, for what it is worth (and especially with your revised times) I say "Go for it!" I can't imagine you will be disappointed. Paris at night is magical. Happy travels!

Posted by
8700 posts

If you arrive on time, you might be able to catch the last RER B train which departs at 22:52. One big question: What are you gong to do with your luggage in the middle of the night?

Posted by
15595 posts

I've been to Paris twice in the last two years. They turn the lights off the monuments at midnight. Except for the Eiffel Tower (don't know when, or if, that goes dark), there will be little to see or do after 12. Get a room in a hostel, perhaps, then out at dawn to see the sights in the early morning, before heading back to the airport.

Posted by
15595 posts

If your luggage is checked through and you have your boarding passes, you will have more time in the morning in Paris. You will only need to go through passport control and security and get to your gate in time for boarding. Try to check if your 9 am flight is on time or delayed before you head out to the airport.