Please sign in to post.

Layover in Amsterdam

On August 14 I'll be returning from Poland with a layover in Amsterdam. My flight out of Amsterdam is at 2:55pm. In the past I have twice visited the Amsterdam during layovers such as this and am planning on doing this again. My question is, should I fly from Krakow to Amsterdam on the evening of the 13th? It would put me into AMS around 7:00 and give me the evening and then the next morning. Or I could just get an early morning flight get into AMS around 9:30. Is there any great advantage to having an evening in Amsterdam. I will be traveling by myself and am not looking to do any big partying all night long or anything like that (although I am curious to just see the red light district at night rather than in the middle of the afternoon).

Posted by
15582 posts

Unless you are planning to do more than look, the red light district (seedy) will probably be a half hour walk. Amsterdam hotels are expensive. Staying overnight means taking everything you need for the night and a change of clothes in your hand luggage and you'll have to haul it around with you until you get back to Schiphol - or leave it at the hotel and then return to pick it up.

Posted by
973 posts

Agree with Chani, an evening seems just an expense with hotel, R/t train from Schipol to Centraal ( plus getting to and from your hotel), a dinner out and entertainment. Unless perhaps someone is playing at the Paradiso? Hanging at the Leidseplein or Rembrandtplein, or a musical event might make the expenses worthwhile.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks for the help guys. I decided to stay the last night in Krakow. Considering I had no real plans for Amsterdam, I figured the hassle is not worth simply seeing the spectacle that is the red light district. I have a 5 hour layover in AMS each way so I'll probably head into the city at least once. On two different occasions I've done the Anne Frank house on a five hour layover and had plenty of time, so I should be fine heading in for some food or maybe a quick canal boat ride. Thanks again.