Please sign in to post.

Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland

Hi! As a part of my Europe trip, I'm planing to stay three nights in Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland. I'm travelling with my boyfriend. We will probably stay in the Valley Hostel or in a room in the Camping Jungfrau, since we are on a budget and those were the cheapest accomodation I could find. We intend to hike near town, visit other towns like Wengen or Murren and get to the Schilthorn.

I would like to know what other expenses we will have, I mean how much money should we plan to expend there. Is it too expensive to have lunch and dinner? Are there any markets to buy food to cook, or some bread and cheese to make a sandwich? How about the transport tickets between towns? Any entrance fees? We'll be travelling with an Eurail pass, I don't know if it will be useful around there.

Well, any ideas or suggestions you may have will be welcome

Thanks!

Posted by
691 posts

Natalia, i have stayed at the valley hostel, good choice we really liked it! the have a well equipped kitchen, and there is a coop grocery store very close. We walked to the Trummelback falls, entry was 11 chf per person. Hopefully a rail pass expert will help you with the tickets rebate you will have with your Eurail pass, we had a swiss pass so i can't help you.

Posted by
837 posts

Natalia, if you have not been to Switzerland, you will likely be affected by sticker shock. The prices of everything are very high. Meals are incredibly expensive. On a trip there last spring, we did take away in Geneva, Laussane and Luzern. We found wonderful things to eat and reasonably priced wine at shops and the Coop stores. We did eat at the Hotel Oberland in Lauterbrunnen and the food was wonderful and reasonable by Swiss standards, not necessarily by US standards. There is a Coop market in Lauterbrunnen and also in Muerren. You might want to consider dinner one night at the Hotel Oberland-the rosti is fabulous- and takeaway the other two. I would recommend staying away from Gimmelwald; it is the middle of nowhere.

Posted by
12040 posts

When I see postings that say "I'm on a budget" and "I want to go to Switzerland", my usual inclination is to direct that person elsewhere in the Alps. The Interlaken region may be the single most beautiful area of the Alps, but that's like comparing the quality (not the price!) of a $100 bottle of wine to a $95 bottle. Both are pretty amazing, one just slightly moreso than the other. Because Switzerland is so much more expensive than the surrounding countries, in my opinion, it makes more sense for a budget traveler to get their Alpine thrills elsewhere. Seriously, I still can't believe how much more expensive Swiss food is, even from a grocery store. I remember paying the equivalent of about $15 for a prepared take-away sandwich, and close to $80 for a pot of fondue for two in a restaurant.

Unless you are absolutely dead-set on visiting the Lauterbrunnen Valley, I would look at your planned route of travel, and see if it crosses near the Alps somewhere else. Because Switzerland is usually somewhat of a detour off the main routes tourists follow, my guess it that you'll encounter the Alps somewhere else as well.

Posted by
2023 posts

Meals are definitely expensive in Switzerland. In addition to Muerren and Lauterbrunen, there is a COOP also in Wengen. We spent six days in BO hiking each day and our lunches were always sandwiches bought at COOP. They also have plenty of fruit choices, pastries, water, etc.