Please sign in to post.

Lake Constance?

We are heading to Switzerland/Germany in May and fine tuning our itenerary. We'll be going from Bern to Munich as part of our trip. The plan is to leave Bern early, and I mean early to catch a train from Zurich to Munich leaving at 7:12. It would be a click and rail ticket bought while in europe for 47sf.
I'm wondering if we should break that rail day up though by stopping thru Lake Constance for a night. Instead of killing ourselves that early in the morning and in the offchance we can't buy and print out a good copy of that ticket while in europe should we use the final day of a swiss rail pass and go from Bern to Romanshorn, ferry across to Friedrichshafen to spend time at the Zeppelin museum, etc and then spend the night/following morning in Lindau? Then use a Bayern ticket from Lindau to Munich?

Posted by
12040 posts

Lindau is gorgeous, and you will probably be the only American there. Go for it!

Posted by
2779 posts

Yes, definitely. Go for it! Most underrated tourist destination in Central Europe. Gorgeous! Especially the view from the lakefront in Friedrichshafen! From the Zeppelinmuseum follow the boardwalk Westbound all the way to that church! Also a must-see town along the lake is Meersburg, an old castle-like walled town right on the lake. Instead of doing Bern-Romanshorn do Bern-Konstanz, ferry over to Meersburg, visit Meersburg and then buy a single ticket to Friedrichshafen. From the station walk down to the lakefront, turn left and you'll get to the Zeppelinmuseum. Some trains also stop at Friedrichshafen Hafen, which is right next to the museum.

Posted by
2 posts

If you stop in Meersburg you can also take the ferry over to the Isle of Mainau jo see a lot of the tropical flowers which should be in bloom in May.

Posted by
95 posts

Thanks all! I think we might do that. We'd lose a little time in Munich but we'd still have a few more days there, plus I'd like the more relaxed feel that would give us of being able to take any train we wanted to the Lake and see a town or two.

Guess it will depend on what kind of cheap lodging I can find in Lindau.

BTW, I assume the Bayern ticket is available to use on the ALX from Lindau to Munich? I've not seen that abbreviation in my numerous searchs on bahn.de but it comes up under the local transport only search. The ALX train looks like a non stop first thing after 9 train to Munich.

Posted by
2779 posts

ALX used to be the abbreviation for Allgäu Express but since December 2007 refers to Arriva Länderbahn Express (alex), a private rail company serving several routes in Bavaria, Thuringia and Saxony-Anhalt. However, they do fully cooperate with DB and so the Länderticket is valid on that train, too. Alex use old DB Intercity carriages that have been remodeled to serve their new needs.

Posted by
144 posts

Lake Constance is absolutely beautiful. We go there every year in June. Try to have dinner at one of the lakefront restaurants so you can watch the swans.

There are a couple of nice but not cheap hotels near the lakefront, City Krone and Goldenes Rad.

Posted by
2779 posts

To everyone who gets a chance to try it: Restaurant Lukullum at Friedrichshafen. (www.lukullum.de). One of the best restaurants in the entire area...