Please sign in to post.

Lake Como

We are spending a few days in Milan then want to go to a small village on Lake Como for a few days. Any suggestions. We will be using public transport

Posted by
501 posts

Would suggest reading Rick Steves guidebook of Italy, he has precise advice to consider Verranna or Bellagio. Takes about 45 to 60 minutes by train from Milan. If you plan to spend several evenings there make your hotel reservations well in advance so you get your top choice. We've only been there in the spring (late March/early April) not sure about other months.

Posted by
10251 posts

It is easy to take the train from Milan to Varenna. From there it's easy to take the ferry to other places. We based in Varenna. If you are interested in doing a cooking class while there check out the one at Il Caminetto. They will transport you from Varenna and return you after the class. It was one of the highlights of my 3 week trip to Italy.

Posted by
922 posts

I have only been to Varenna and it was great. We stayed at the Albergo Milano. We went to Bellagio, Maggiano and Como as well as Lugano Switzerland. We had dinner one evening at a very small place just down the lane from Albergo Milano and met two couples from Melbourne!

Posted by
85 posts

Thanks everyone. Bet the people from Melbourne were good company :)

Posted by
267 posts

Ohhh! Varenna was like heaven! You must go! I'll never forget leaving Milan via train and suddenly you are in the mountains . You begin to see the lake and the little villages tucked in.... I wish I could have spent more time there.. Don't forget to buy your return train ticket in Milan... That was a little scary to realize when you arrive, that it is an unattended station.. I bet it was in the book, but I didn't remember it.

Posted by
32219 posts

mary, Varenna is a great choice for visiting Lago di Como, as it's a beautiful smaller town and a convenient "base" for taking day trips to Bellagio or other spots on the lake. The trip from Milano Centrale is 1H:03M via Regionale train. There are departures about every two hours. DON'T forget to validate your tickets or risk hefty fines, which will be collected on the spot! Be ready to disembark promptly as the train only stops for about a minute! There are a number of good hotels there. Albergo Milano is a big favourite with many here, and understandably it's often fully booked. You could also look at Villa Cipressi or Royal Hotel Victoria, both of which are right in the main Piazza. If you'd like more of a "view", you could also have a look at Eremo Gaudio, which is on the hill above town. From the main part of town by the Piazza, the Ferry dock (directly in front of Albergo Olivedo, another of the hotels) can be easily reached via a very scenic and beautiful lakeside promenade (which is also a popular location for a passeggiata in the evenings). There are some nice restaurants close to the water, where you have a fine hot meal and watch the boats gliding back and forth. Happy travels!

Posted by
77 posts

Varenna was TOO small for our taste- we stayed in Bellagio(on the advice of friends who live on Lake Como fulltime) at the Hotel Florence, which we loved. We took the ferries everywhere, visiting all the small towns on the lake, including Varenna. We absolutely loved our stay (April 2012) and hope to return.