Please sign in to post.

KD Rhine Cruises

There seems to be two passes ~ one from Bonn to Mainz and from Koblenz to Mainz. Looks like the same thing to me? Anyone know the difference? Thank you.

Posted by
8942 posts

Bonn is farther away from Mainz than Koblenz is. Pull up a Google map online and you will see their locations.

Posted by
475 posts

Yes, I saw that but the price for the two passes is the same and they seem to stop at the same locations along the river so was wondering if there was any other difference?

Posted by
6637 posts

Alex. You are not looking at the official KD site. You do not need a pass to cruise the river. Both Bonn to Mainz and Koblenz to Mainz require a ridiculous amount of time. You can see the best part of the river between Bingen and Boppard in about 2.3 hours and pay much less than you would by getting that pass from the middle man agency. HERE is the official site. Also, you'll get a 20% discount on the given fares if you present a valid train ticket.

Posted by
475 posts

Actually that is the website I am looking at so maybe I am looking in the wrong place ~ I go to the site and see Welcome on board KD between Cologne and Mainz (that gives a schedule of times) so maybe tha tis the one I want. I know I don't have to travel the whole length of the river but was wondering how to find the right pass to get on/off ferry. Basically from Bingen to Boppard most likely.

Posted by
6637 posts

Use the TICKET PRICE TABLE at the site I gave you - these aren't passes, but tickets - you'll see that Bingen-Boppard is a price-level H ticket at 23.80€ so about 19€ with your 20% discount. You can get off if in Bacharach, Oberwesel, or St. Goar with a Bingen-Boppard ticket as you please - IF there's another boat to come get you at the time you want to leave. Hopping back on at a good time can be tricky - check the schedule - so it's GENERALLY a good idea to do your hopping off and on by train instead (trains are much more frequent and allow the same hop off, hop-on flexibility with most ticket options) and do your cruise before or after you check out the towns (in other words, it's easier just to stay on the boat for the whole way.) You can also shorten the cruise and do Bingen-St. Goar in about 1.5 hours (price level G, 18.70€ or 15€ with your 20% discount.) The St. Goar to Boppard stretch is nice too, but Bingen-St. Goar is better, so if time is tight...

Posted by
797 posts

The Rhine gorge starts south of Koblenz and that is where the real scenery is. The section between Bonn and Koblenz is very forgettable. There must be a better way to spend time than riding on the river from Bonn to Koblenz.

Posted by
6637 posts

"How do I get 20% off that you mention??" You're using the train to reach Bingen (from some unstated starting point - where are you starting out from that morning, anyway??) so show whatever train ticket you have at the KD kiosk to get the discount. You can't get it if you drive to the dock. Post again if you need help finding train tickets or daypasses - the starting point, exact number of passengers, travel date, and final destination that day, if you know all that, will yield the best tips.

Posted by
475 posts

Ok, thank you so no need to buy the KD ticket ahead of time? It will be mid-September most likely. We are probably going to stay in St Goar.

Posted by
11 posts

I am joining this conversation with another question. We will be staying in Bacharach for 3 days in September and want to cruise the Rhine on the KD ferry. Where should we start the cruise? Should we go down to Mainz and start from there? We have German Rail Passes but will probably not use the pass for one of the travel days on the ferry. We would also like to see Burg Eltz but may take the train from Bacharach there....We have never been to the area and would appreciate some advice.

Posted by
475 posts

Hi Debbie~
The advice I have received is to take the train south (from St. Goar or Bacharach) to Bingen and cruise north (with the current, much faster) to St. Goar (about 1.5 hours, the most scenic part-a few people have said this is the best part to see) or beyond for more good scenery to Boppard (west bank, 2.3 hours) or Braubach (east bank, 2.8 hrs, home of Marksburg Castle, the best castle tour on the Rhine.)

Posted by
6637 posts

Debbie writes, "Where should we start the cruise? Should we go down to Mainz and start from there?" Only if you want to spend about 2 hours and extra € cruising a rather dull section of the river from Mainz to Bingen :) Also, the dock is a LONG walk from the Mainz train station. Start the cruise in Bingen instead. "We have German Rail Passes but will probably not use the pass for one of the travel days on the ferry." If you are using a German railpass day for the TRAINS that day already, you can use it on the KD cruise boat too - and it doesn't cost you an extra day, just one day for both. If you have no intention of using the railpass for trains on the day of your cruise, then you'll pay for the cruise at the KD dock. A cruise from Bingen to St. Goar is probably the best, quick way to enjoy the river (about 1.5 hours.) You don't have to use a railpass that day. But how will you... 1.) get from Bacharach to Bingen to start the cruise, and 2.) return from St. Goar to home base Bacharach? You'll still need to use the train. for 1.) it's 4€ for a one-way ticket, for 2.) 3.50€, so 7.50€ each. Buy tickets from machines at the stations. Also - the cruise price from Bingen to St. Goar (18.70€) will be reduced by 20% at the KD kiosk if you present the train ticket you used to reach Bingen, so the cruise will be about 15€ each. Total for cruise + train rides = 22.50€ each. This amount may or may not justify the use of a railpass day - I don't know what the cost of your railpass day might be as it depends on the type and duration of your pass. For the balance of your stay and your trip to Burg Eltz, you will probably be interested in the Rheinland-Pfalz ticket daypass (26€/day for two.)