Please sign in to post.

itinerary Suggestions

Hi, I am new to this site and need a lot of adivice. I got the idea of a trip to Europe (Brussels) for mid-late April for 10 nights. I was planning to make Brussels my base and day trip to various cities in the region (Ghent, Brugges, Lille, London, etc). Can anyone please provide any tips, suggestions? Thanks,
Al

Posted by
1878 posts

Why not stay overnight in London and Bruges, at least? I have been to Brussels, and ten nights there seems like a lot. Even though London is only a couple of hours away, that's two hours each way. Why do it that way when you have a choice to split up your stay? I would suggest four nights in London, two in Bruges, three in Brussels. I have never been to Ghent though I would like to go. Have stayed overnight in Bruges (great) and passed through Brussels for a few hours en route to Paris. I would have liked more time in Brussels, in retrospect, but ten nights is a lot.

Posted by
71 posts

I agree that you should split up your nights. Don't miss Antwerp, I believe its about 45 minutes (train) from Brussels.

Posted by
1986 posts

As Vernon said, you will waste a lot of time travelling there and back. Choose a couple or three Cities you would like to see and spend a few nigts in each- and then do Day trips (say 1 hour max travel) to nearby towns. But if yu choose your cities well you may not do any day trips. London is a definite place to spend a couple of nights. Bruges and Ghent are close enough you can commute to the one from the other

Posted by
5 posts

I seriously considered breaking up this trip into "legs" with two or three cities. Your advice has solified my decision. I'll try to post an revamped itinerary once I complete my plans. Thanks a lot for all the advice!

Posted by
205 posts

You should staying somewhere based on what it has to offer. There's a lot more to do in London than in Brussels. I would stay there a least 3 days of the 10, or skip it completely.

Posted by
124 posts

I'd agree that 10 days in Brussels is quite a bit. Brugges is a nice day or two trip. If you have a car then visiting some WW2 sites would be good (if you like that stuff). I was in Brussels for 5 days and that was plenty. Don't get me wrong, I like it but unless you know people there or want to explore every nook and cranny, there are many other interesting places to see nearby. I believe Amsterdam isn't far by train so that is another possibility. Same for Paris.