Please sign in to post.

Itinerary

We wii be spending two nights in Bacharach and have an extra day before going to Munich. We will be traveling by train Does anyone have a suggestion as to where we could spend this extra day and night in exploring the area between these two cities?
Thank you

Posted by
6664 posts

The main route to Munich takes you through Würzburg and Nuremberg. Würzburg is about 3 hours from Bacharach. Nuremberg is one hour beyond Würzburg. So you might stopover in Würzburg, stow bags in a locker there, visit the gorgeous Residenz and adjacent Hofkirche and have lunch, then proceed to Nuremberg for the late afternoon and evening. I would check into a hotel somewhere in or near the old town and visit one of Nuremberg's nice pubs, then explore the town on foot. The next morning, head for Munich, less than 1.5 hours away by train.

Posted by
13 posts

That sounds like a great idea. I was considering going to Rothenburg but I didn't know if it would prove too arduous to get there by train.

Posted by
8170 posts

Carole: You didn't say where you were coming from? I hope you've already stopped in Cologne before getting to Bacharach. It's also just south of Koblenz. Bear in mind that Bacharach is just a tiny little village sitting alongside the Rhine River. There are some castles in the area. Bacharach's got some fine B&B's and small restaurants. But after overnight, I'm ready to hit the road. Bavaria Ben covers the area best @
http://www.bensbauernhof.com/accommodationsrhinemosel.html

Posted by
6664 posts

"I hope you've already stopped in Cologne before getting to Bacharach. It's also just south of Koblenz."
Cologne is 100 km NORTH of Koblenz.

Posted by
8960 posts

David sounds like he hasn't even been to Bacharach. "There are some castles in the area"? You can see at least 40 castles in the space of 2 hours. I did laugh at Cologne being south of Koblenz too. Würzbug would be my suggestion too. You could also stay in Frankfurt, as there is no lack of historic sites to see here. If you wanted to go to a medieval walled town on your way to Munich, suggest a visit to Büdingen. Only an hour outside of Frankfurt, you can easily reach this by train.