Please sign in to post.

International Driving Permit

We will be in Austria, Germany and perhaps the Czech Republic/Hungary this summer. Do we need international driving permits?

Posted by
719 posts

It's $15 that will save you a TON of hassle if you get pulled over. I didn't have one in Germany and Austria, but I didn't get pulled over...

Posted by
188 posts

Thanks...it's not the $15..it's the hassle of getting those $(&&/ passport photos again. :). I know I can get them at AAA.

Posted by
10249 posts

I always just have the photos done at AAA. It only takes a minute and costs $10. Well worth it to avoid any problems.

Posted by
33 posts

It takes about 10 minutes at any Walgreen drugstore.

Posted by
19 posts

My understanding is that the permit is helpful for interpreting the information on your U.S. state license in countries that use other alphabets. I suspect that with the greater number of people learning English as a second language will reduce the need of these permits unless you go into the far off hinterlands of some countries. I purchased one some 30 years ago but over the last 5 years I haven't bothered. But then again, I'm a middle aged cautious driver who pays attention to what's going on around me.

Posted by
10249 posts

It doesn't matter how cautious you are. Accidents can happen to anyone. It doesn't even have to be your fault. Also, sometimes there are checkpoints you have to stop at. The IDP is to interpret your license into many different languages. It doesn't matter what alphabet the language has. You have to assume that anyone in another country looking at your license will not speak English and will have no idea what it means. Recently someone mentioned having a problem in England. Last I checked they speak English there. It is REQUIRED BY LAW in some countries. I would check the countries you are going to in order to see if they require it. I have never been asked to produce my IDP at the rental agency, as they typically don't care if you have one. Law enforcement is who cares.

Posted by
1633 posts

I get my passport photos at Costco. Also, when arranging for your rental, be sure to tell them you will be in the Czech Republic/Hungary. They only allow certain cars to be taken into those countries. I use AutoEurope or Kemwel for my rentals. You can check their rates online. Have a great trip.

Posted by
4535 posts

Not only does it translate the info in the license, it essentially validates it for police and rental agencies. Sometimes rental agents do ask to see it for those reasons.

Posted by
800 posts

Yes, you absolutely need it in Austria and should have it in the rest of the continent. They take driving very seriously in Europe and they have no sense of humor when an accident happens. I have seen very minor shunts where I thought WWIII was going to break out. If it is too much inconvenience for you to go to AAA to get an IDP, then you probably aren't up to the minor stresses of driving in Europe.

Posted by
188 posts

Irv...perhaps you misunderstood me. I was only referring to my understanding that I would have to schlep to Walgreen's or whatever and THEN to AAA. I have other things happening in my life that might complicate that. I have driven in other parts of Europe, thank you. I appreciate all answers.

Posted by
10249 posts

That's why I choose to just have them take the photo at AAA. That's one less stop to make!

Posted by
719 posts

I agree with Mary. Going to Walgreens is more stressful than driving in Europe... ;-)

Posted by
188 posts

I didn't know that one could get passport photos at AAA...thanks for the tip. Will definitely go there for the pics.

Posted by
5 posts

We have always purchased one and taken it with us. No one has ever asked us for it, but I'm pretty sure the one time we don't get one is the time someone will want one. So I would get one, just in case.