Please sign in to post.

Interlaken

We will be in Interlaken May 5 - 7, 2013. Is Interlaken a good base to use to go to Jungfrau Region, Lanterbrunnen Valley to Murren & Gimmelwald? We will have only 2 to 2 1/2 days to spend in the area. We are coming from Italy going to Munich. Any ideas on reasonable lodging would be appreciated, too.

Posted by
9103 posts

For that time of the year Interlaken is a good choice as a lot of the hotels in the mountain villages like Wengen and Murren are closed until the start of the summer season in June. If you encounter bad weather and need "rainy-day" options outside of the alps, Interlaken has good transportation connection to places like Luzern, Bern, and Basel. When I stay in Interlaken I usually go with this place: http://www.lotschberg.ch/

Posted by
32222 posts

Judy, I agree with the previous reply. While Lauterbrunnen is a good central location for visiting the places you mentioned, at least some of the hotels there will still likely be closed at the beginning of May. However, there are probably a few hotels in Lauterbrunnen that will be open. If you'd really like to stay there, one possibility would be Hotel Silberhorn. They tend to be a bit "upscale", but I'm sure you'd be very comfortable there. If you'd like something a bit less expensive, check the hotel listings on Trip Advisor. The trip from Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen is only about 20 minutes, so Interlaken is still a good possibility. Happy travels!