Please sign in to post.

Innsbruck or Salzburg?

I want to visit both, but where would you rather stay the night? I'd dedicate one day to each, and make a daytrip from one city to the other... is that enough? Thanks!!

Posted by
4407 posts

Salzburg, but I'd stay a minimun of two nights. Why would you like to visit either one? That will be helpful in us helping you...Is it the food, architecture, beer, music, hiking, history?

Posted by
9110 posts

Out and back, waiting for train (or getting gas for car) is going to take close to five hours. Not much time left over to do one as a day trip from the other.

Posted by
2908 posts

Hi Natalia, I'd stay in Salzburg and skip Innsbruck. If you want to see the alps, head over to nearby Berchtesgaden. Paul

Posted by
586 posts

Just got back from both cities...we did three nights in Salzburg including the SOM tour one day, and just one night in Innsbruck. I know it bucks the conventional wisdom, but having visited both, we'd do two nights in each. The cable car up the Karwendel Alps in Innsbruck leads to stunning views of the mountains and city. And the hotel Weisses Kruez is so wonderful in Innsbruck. I think to do both justice, you'd need at least four nights (although RS does downplay Innsbruck as a destination at all...I don't agree). It would be a long day trip from Salzburg even via high-speed train, although I suppose it's possible. It's a two-hour journey one-way on the fastest train available, so any day excursion would include 4-5 hours of travel. If we did it again, we'd stay two nights in Salzburg (or three), BUT also do 2 in Innsbruck. Just my two cents.

Posted by
32212 posts

Natalia, I suppose it depends on what you want to see, but I tend to agree with Paul. I'd use Salzburg as your home base, and perhaps take a day trip to Hallstatt or Berchtesgaden. You could either use local transportation or a local tour company such as Bob's Special Tours (check their website for details). If your time is limited, focus on Salzburg. Cheers!

Posted by
14521 posts

Given a choice between the two, I would suggest Salzburg. I spent a couple of days in Salzburg ages ago...in Sept. 1977. I don't know Innsbruck. Why Salzburg? The city of Mozart, an enchanting city and what is called in German eine Kunststadt; these are the reasons for choosing the place.

Posted by
12040 posts

If you´re there in the winter for skiing, Innsbruck. Any other time of year, Salzburg.

Posted by
719 posts

I agree with Salzburg. Not sure what time of year you'll be there, but the cafe on the Festung probably has the best view in europe from which to enjoy your espresso/wine/beer. The town is great, and the Cathedral is spectacular. One night here won't be enough.

Posted by
166 posts

Both cities are absolutely charming and have wonderful hotels, restaurants, and surrounding sites to visit. A day trip would be rough - long day and you would miss many sites. Salzburg is my favorite of the two. Definitely take a day trip out to Hallstadt - wonderful old city! I would spend two nights in each and relax.

Posted by
19096 posts

Where else are you going? (I assume you are not flying to Europe for two days.) Where are you going on to? It might make sense, for example, to spend 2 nights in Salzburg, the second morning take the train to Innsbruck, then go on for the night to, say, Mittenwald?

Posted by
12172 posts

I love Salzburg but consider Innsbruck skipable (except as a base for skiing in winter).

Posted by
120 posts

Hi all, thank you very much for your replies! Lee, you're right, it's easier to make a suggestion if you know more about the whole trip. I'm planning a 35-40 day trip around Europe, visiting London, Paris, Bruges, Amsterdam, Munich, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Salzburg and/or Innsbruck and finally Lauterbrunnen in Switzerland. I'm currently considering spending two days in Salzburg, then one day in Innsbruck and then take the train to Switzerland. I will be going next summer, during July/August Hope this help you help me!