Please sign in to post.

Innsbruck, Austria

I am trying to include 2 days in Innsbruck on a trip to Europe this June. Mainly, we want to go there to hike. I've been looking around, but find it hard to get information. Are there any hiking trails nearby without needing to rent a car to get to them? Something like 3-6 miles long. Also, is 1/2 day enough to see the town?
Thank you!

Posted by
8308 posts

There are walking and hiking trails all over the mountains around Innsbruck. The scenery is absolutely breathtaking. You can jump on local bus that service the villages up on the mountain. Paved walking trails also go from village to village. You can also ride chair lifts up into the mountains at the ski resorts, hike up into the mountains. Then, you can ride the ski lift back down the mountain to the main roads. I personally would prefer to rent a car and just ramble from village to village throughout Tirol.
Go into the local village bar and buy a round of drinks. It'll be the last money you spend. The people will just take you in. Innsbruck's tourism bureau has a good website.

Posted by
29 posts

Also, since we are going to Munich, would it be better to just skip Innsbruck and just go to the Bavarian Alps instead?

Posted by
77 posts

We found 2 - 3 hours in Innsbruck was plenty.

Posted by
29 posts

Great! Thank you!
Simone, I used to live in St-Laurent, Montréal. What a small world!

Posted by
1633 posts

Julie, you asked whether to skip Innsbruck and go straight to the Bavarian Alps. I think this would be a good idea. If you want to hike, continue on the train to Lermoos, Austria. There are hiking trails everywhere. Some of the ski lifts are open to take you up into the mountains and then you hike or bike down. This is called the Zugspitze Arena. Check out the area online: www.lermoos.at Lots of lodging and good restaurants in the area. Also, in Biberwier, another town in the area, there is a summer luge (also called a sommerroldelbahn). Lots of thrills, just don't crash! Have a great trip.

Posted by
4535 posts

I loved Innsbruck and David is right, there are hiking trails all over. No need for a car. The town itself can be seen in a few hours, it's beautiful but the real attraction are the mountains surrounding it. Plus you'll spend time in town in the evenings. The tram leads right out of town and up a mountain. It makes a few stops so you can hike from any of those. There is a trail at the highest stop too and you can walk all the way back down (or up I guess).