Please sign in to post.

hotels in Paris

My husband and I will be taking our first trip to Paris in April. We will be there for 5 nites. What is the best area to find a hotel that will be a good location for access to public transportation but that might also be convenient for walking to some of the "sights". Thanks!

Posted by
403 posts

Lori: My wife and I have enjoyed the Hotel Castex in the Marais district. Google them, check out their website and see if it appeals. The Marais is lively, full of restaurants and cafes, and a short walk from Notre Dame. Almost any part of paris you pick, at least in the central core, will have good metro access.

Posted by
9420 posts

I like the 4th, 5th and 6th arrondissements best. My favorite neighborhood of all is Ile Saint Louis, the little island behind Notre Dame... Don't know what your budget is... my favorite hotel is Hotel de Lutece, on Ile Saint Louis.

Posted by
98 posts

would like to spend no more than $200-$250 USD per nite if possible Thanks for your infput!

Posted by
83 posts

I know that Rick's book has a lot of recs for hotels in the central area. I'm going on my first trip to Paris in a couple of weeks and we decided to stay in the 6th arrondisement (sp?)-The Latin Quarter/Luxembourg Gardens area. We looked up walking times to major sites and found this area to have the best walkability. Don't know about public transportation, though.

Posted by
2713 posts

I have stayed in the 5th and 6th and liked both very much. We walked everywhere [INVALID] almost everything is within two miles. It's convenient to public transportation, but that's true of most places in Paris. We just got back from a trip to Belgium and stayed the first and last night in Paris. We stayed in the Best Western Cluny and Hotel Recamier. Both are in your price range. Hotel Recamier was a last night of vacation splurge. Both hotels were quite nice, especially Recamier, but the rooms were very tiny. Have you considered renting an apartment? We rented one from Vacation in Paris last year when we were in Paris for 6 nights. We got way more space for a similar price.

Posted by
251 posts

We were in Paris this past June and stayed at the Villa Beaumarchais in the Marais, just off the Blvd Beaumarchais. We were within walking distance of Place Bastille,Place des Vosges, the metro and numerous bus stops. Staff were friendly, breakfast buffet was delicious. We had a huge breakfast everyday and then either skipped lunch, or ate a late lunch and then just had an appetizer for supper.

Posted by
10196 posts

We too stayed at the Castex right after they remodeled and really liked it. Very convenient, too.

Posted by
63 posts

we are going in april too..... Book now if your trip is after the Easter holiday. I have been told that they get the 2 wks after and a few days before. We booked an apartment with VIP (vacations in paris). Cheaper then most 2-3 star hotels..

Posted by
6 posts

metro in paris is great. Don't be scared of being further away from the center if you're close to the metro. We spent $80/night in Montparnasse a month ago although the lobby was under construction (not an issue).

Posted by
354 posts

hi Lori, so you're going to London and Paris? Lovely. Most people here like to stay in the Rue Cler or Marais areas. I like the Marais area, plenty of restaurants and shops and very pleasant to walk around in. Stayed in the small but fairly comfortable Hotel Sevigne just a stone's throw from the St Paul metro station which is a straight shot to the Louvre.

Posted by
69 posts

Always stayed in Hotel Muguet (3 occasions)-near the Eiffel Tower, 2 Metros nearby, safe neighborhood and also good restaurants, open markets abound in this, I think, 6th arrondisement. Please go to Trip Advisor to confirm other people's experience on this hotel because I for one highly recommend it. It is always good to hear other people's positive views (or negative for that matter)before you make a decision. This hotel has its own website and their pictures are pretty close to how they really look like. It is a boutique hotel, very small rooms but impeccably clean bathrooms, has storage for luggage if you arrive early or will leave late-also has a small elevator to take luggage up.

Posted by
98 posts

To all of you who have replied to my original post...thank you so much for taking the time to give me your wonderful insight and the benefit of your experiences. I really appreciate your help!