Please sign in to post.

Hotels in Paris

Does anyone have suggestions as to a clean, affordable hotel in Paris? I have never been and am unsure of what area of the city to stay.

Posted by
8293 posts

Gina: If you use the "search" function in the blue bar at the top right of the screen, and enter "paris hotels", you will get a gazillion suggestions and discussions.

Posted by
63 posts

Hi Gina,

See my earlier post to another thread. Keep in mind I have only been to Paris once, but am planning a trip in a few weeks. So, this info has been found from extensive research, but not personal experience.

"Regarding accomodation in Paris, I would first identify a location that interests you. This is based on personal preference, so ask yourself what kind of neighborhood "feels" good to you.

I will be spending 6 nights in Paris in April and I will be staying at Hotel Sevigne in the Marais, which is located in the 4th. I chose this hotel because it's a 15 min walk from Notre Dame, which is in the historic core of Paris. I will also be a couple blocks from Place de Vosges, the oldest square in Paris. This neighborhood still retains a bohemian vibe, although it is becoming more and more like the touristy Latin Quarter.

Marais: Similar to SOHO in NYC, funkier side of West Hollywood, etc

Latin Quarter: On the left bank, which has a generally slower pace. Also pretty funky, but more touristy and prices will be higher in cafes, etc

Rue Cler: A favorite spot of Rick's. This area is closer to the Eiffel Tower, which is toward the nw side of Paris. For me, it's too far from the historic core and far too many Americans.

Bastille: If you want something similar to the Marais 15 years ago, you'll find it here. A less commercial area that will have more of a residential feel and is still relatively close to the center.

I hope that helps! If you have any other questions about neighborhoods, etc, let me know."

Posted by
3551 posts

You have not indicated what is affordable so I will assume for this board under $100 US per night. I think rue cler is a central and good location for you. It is safe and you can walk to Seine, Eiffel T etc. Try Hotel Kensington, it is a trad. basic type hotel but clean with elevator and well located and ensuite. I stay ther regularly as a tourist. eat brfast in one of the many cafes nearby.