Please sign in to post.

Hotels in Munich

We will be traveling to Munich by train from Florence May 6, 2013. Can anyone recommend a hotel near the main train station.
We will have my 13 year old niece with us as well as her mother.

Posted by
19092 posts

I, personally, never stay near the station, but some posters here have, and Hotel Uhland is highly recommended, albeit a little pricey. Hotel Royal is also nearby and less expensive, but some people have complained about the neighborhood (not unsafe, but "seedy"). Although Uhland is in a nice neighborhood, the walk to it is through a maybe questionable neighborhood.

Posted by
32209 posts

Bill, I been staying in Hotel Royal in Munich for the last three days, and I'd certainly recommend it. The room was very comfortable, the staff were wonderful and it's only about a three minute walk from the main station. A couple of points to note.... The area where the Hotel is located is somewhat "colourful", but that is in no way indicative of the quality of the hotel. The area didn't bother me in the least and once inside the Hotel, it's "different world". There was no A/C (at least in my room) but I asked for a Fan at the front desk and that made a BIG difference. Finally, the breakfast provided at the Hotel was incredible. They had an extremely good selektion of items to satisfy just about every taste (including scrambled eggs). It's not hard to fill-up at breakfast there! Hotel Uhland is also a fantastic Hotel, but it's considerably farther from the station, perhaps a 15-minute walk (once you know the way). It's located in a nice residential area, but there are only a few restaurants within easy walking distance. I'm still trying to decide whether Royal or Uhland have the best breakfasts in Europe (it's a tough call). At the moment, Royal has a slight lead. Happy travels!

Posted by
3953 posts

I'm one of those people who dislike staying near the train station in any direction. It doesn't have the sites nor restaurants that I want to go to in the immediate vicinity and it is kind of seedy in the blocks surrounding the station. Instead, we stay at one of the hotels near the viktulelien markt. There is one that RS recommends but we've stayed at a new über chic but cookie cutter rooms hotel called Motel One next to the Sendlinger Tor U-bahn stop. There are lots of positive reviews on tripadvisor. Also we' ve noticed that 90% of its clientele are German-speaking vacationers and business travelers.

Posted by
591 posts

The Ostbahnhof area is in a safe neighborhood and I stayed at the Marriott Courtyard East near there last year(2 blocks away). It's a new hotel adjacent to a new Residence Inn. The pros: clean rooms, good beds, easy to reserve, good price(about € 169), and twins available. Train schedule from Florence shows stopping at the Ostbahnhof just before getting to the Hbf. S-bahn at the station gets you to central Munich and the airport. Cons: I'll get blasted by some posters for recommending a non-German hotel.

Posted by
121 posts

My wife and I stayed at the Laimer Hof in Munich last year and were extremely please with the staff, breakfasts, and location of the hotel. As many other travelers state, we, too, try not to stay near the train stations. The Laimer Hof is a short distance to a wonderful neighborhood by tram. It's also within walking distance to the Nymphenburg Castle, park and botanical gardens; as well as quaint local restaurants. It has easy access to bus routes also.
(http://www.laimerhof.de/en.html) We felt very safe walking the neighborhood at night.

Posted by
227 posts

I also support the Laimer Hof - Sebastian and his wife are wonderful hosts and as the poster above said the neighborhood is great.

Posted by
124 posts

This isn't right niext to the train station but is right on top of a subway station, the Hilton Hotel at Rosshiemer Platz. If you can find it there is n elevator directly up to the hotel. We had a nice 3 day stay.

Posted by
188 posts

I'm with Laimerhof crowd...stayed there last month and can't say enough good things about the staff or location. It's in a good little neighborhood with shops and restaurants, 5-10 minute walk to trams and a15 minute walk to train station. If/when I am back in Munich, this will be my go to hotel.

Posted by
19092 posts

What Richard meant to say is "Rosenheimer Platz". Rosenheimer Platz is a station on the S-Bahn trunk line that goes under the city, two stops east of Marienplatz and one stop west of Ostbahnhof. Very convenient.

Posted by
14507 posts

Bill, Numerous hotels are in the main train station (Hbf.) area, from budget to very expensive. I always stay in the station area in a Pension. On Schillerstraße are small hotels and Pensionen one after another. The one hotel I would recommend to you "near the main train station" (never stayed there but have checked it out) is located directly across the street from the Hbf...Europäsischer Hof, Bayerstraße 31. Tel. 089/55 15 10. It's a 3 star, not too pricey. very nice.

Posted by
16276 posts

A question about the Laimerhof-how easy is it to reach from the airport? It looks like the S1 stops are not close.

Posted by
19092 posts

The easiest way is probably to go into the Hbf (either S1 or S8, whichever leaves the airport first) and take the 16 or 17 Tram from the street on the north side of the Hbf to Romanplatz Slightly more complicated, but possibly faster - take the S1 to Hackerbrücke, then either tram to Romanplatz. You could also get off the S1 one stop earlier at Donnersbergerbrücke station and walk about ½km north to Arnulfstraße and get one of the trams at the Donnersbergerstraße stop. Or, you can get off the S1 at the Laim station and take the 51 or 151 bus to Romanplatz, or get off the S1 at Moosach and take the 51 bus to Romanplatz. Of the bus options, getting off at Laim would probably be faster and give you more buses from which to choose.

Posted by
16276 posts

Thanks, Lee. I am thinking we will be flying into Munich on our next trip, and I like the looks of the Laimerhof. But since we will be arriving after a long flight and plane change at Heathrow, I'd like to keep it simple, even if it takes a bit longer. The tram from the north side of the Hbf to Romanplatz looks easiest; am I correct? I did ssee on the map how close Romanplatz is to the hotel; looks like an easy walk.

Posted by
19092 posts

The MVV website says the fastest way is to take the S1 to Moosach and the bus from there, 54 minutes total. If you don't want to take the bus, and prefer to change at the Hbf, whichever S-Bahn is leaving next at the airport will get you to the Hbf first. A tram leaves the Hbf every 6 minutes and takes 13 minutes. If you come in on the S8, MVV says to get off at the Hbf and take the tram from there (1h07min). If you come in on the S1, MVV says to get off at Donnersbergerbrücke and take the tram from there (1h05min). The tram stop is about ¼-½ km from the S-bahn station. Either way, they still say to take whichever S-bahn is leaving the airport next. If you stay on the S1 to the Hbf, it will take about 5 minutes longer.

Posted by
20 posts

Since you are coming from the airport I'm assuming you will be dragging luggage. I'd stay on the S1 to the Hbf, then catch the tram there. The steps up at Donnersbrückestr. can be a PITA, and even tho there is a lift, it can be slooooooow. Or just dodge the issue and catch the S8 at the airport.

Posted by
19092 posts

Another good argument for packing light and using a convertible backpack.