Please sign in to post.

Hotel in Paris

A friend and I are thinking about a trip to Paris without husbands and I would appreciate recommendations for a reasonably priced, clean and safe hotel with a twin room and, hopefully, a breakfast buffet. If you have a favorite please let me know and feel free to include the "don't stay there!" as well. Thanks in advance. B.D.

Posted by
1068 posts

My husband and I always stay (that's once or twice a year, for the past 8 or 9 years) at l'Hotel Hameau, 48 rue de Passy. If you don't like street noise, this place is perfect - it is off-street, behind tall doors, on a cute little courtyard. There is NO city noise at all in the hotel. L'Hotel Hameau is a 7 minute walk from Trocadero and the Eiffel Tower. It is convenient to Bus #72, and is directly between the Passy and la Muette Metro stops. The neighborhood is clean, safe, friendly, and full of families. Along the main draig (rue de Passy) there are plenty of good restaurant choices, excellent bakeries, and upscale shops. There are two Monoprix, the larger of which has an awesome hot food/cold salad takeaway section. There are several cafes, a dry cleaner, and even a street market one day a week. The neighborhood is quiet but very safe after dark - no loud nightlife near the hotel. The hotel is clean, friendly and quiet. Rates are not expensive, and they discount for three nights or more. The staff is helpful, polite and charming. They answer email promptly. The WiFi is free. Breakfast is downstairs in a small but charming and clean room, and is very nice. Fresh croissants, etc., jam, fruit, juice, coffee, tea. The pix of the rooms on their website are accurate. I have no explanation for the very weird faux fur bedspreads - but they are cozy, albeit odd. :D http://www.paris-hotel-hameaudepassy.com/ As for all of "RS loves rue Cler! Stay in rue Cler!" replies you will get - I think rue Cler is lovely, but I also think it's expensive and ultra-touristy. Passy to me is a little more "local," although of course we all know Paris is a Big Busy City with lots of tourists, so that is kinda subjective. :-)

Posted by
1335 posts

Hotel Saint Petersbourg: It's close to the Opera (Roissybus drops you off at the Opera). It's lovely, air conditioned, reasonable, and the breakfast buffet is nothing short of lovely! The twin/double rooms run about 125EUR. You can't beat air conditioning in the summer. http://www.hotelsaintpetersbourg.com The opera's at the center of it all and it's a charming hotel in a charming area near La Madeleine.

Posted by
11507 posts

I loved staying at the Hotel Le Regent on Rue Dauphine , its so central . . we ( my friend and I ) booked a deluxe room and are glad we did as the standards are too small! The room had good a/c and a mini fridge , twin beds and a nice bathroom. Right outside are cafes, shops and you are within walking distance to many sites ( which I like rather then always having to metro somewhere ) . There are metro and buses close by of course for those places you can't walk to.. I can also recommend Hotel Des Grand Hommes , looks out at Pantheon, in quiet area of the 5th, but only 10 minute walk to bustling areas.. I also have stayed at Hotel Place du Louvre, its on the right bank, but right across from the Louvre on a quiet side street and less then a block walk to Pont Neuf and the Siene. I also have stayed at the Hotel Eugenie, loved the locations but they have put their prices up a bit, its only an "average" hotel but its in a great area.. All the hotels I stay in have a/c and most have mini fridges. All are under 200 euros a night, in fact many under 150 euros a night if you prebook well in advance. August is cheaper then june usually.. and I often go in july or august for the deals.

Posted by
6487 posts

We loved the Hotel des Grandes Ecoles on rue Cardinal Lemoine in the Latin Quarter. See http://www.hotel-grandes-ecoles.com/. Three buildings around a small garden, close to metro, cafes, restaurants, Mouffetard street market. They have a breakfast but we went up the street to the Cafe Descartes for a better deal. Clean and safe, even without husbands!

Posted by
6 posts

We used Rick Steve's Paris guidebook for a self guided, one week tour of Paris. The instructions were very detailed on how to get around. While it has been over 10 years ago, we stayed on the Rue Cler at the Hotel LeVique (I would have to check Rick Steves book for the spelling). It was on a street where only service vehicles came through, GREAT location, nice, clean small rooms, BUT GOOD for a great price. Walking distance to the underground, even walking distance to the Eiffel Tower, if you want a long walk. Close to chocolate shop, market, cheese shop - highly recommended. Lot's of other Rick Steve's books were seen in the area. Janice
Edmonds

Posted by
39 posts

I know that everyone will pooh-pooh this but having just returned from Paris on 3/31/13 my husband and I stayed at the Holiday Inn - Notre Dame. The location was perfect - it's a bustling area with tons of shops and cafes steps from the hotel, and about a 5 minute walk from Notre Dame, maybe 15 minutes walk from the Louvre & Luxembourg Gardens (different directions, of course!). The Metro station is not even half a block and is a hub that hosts several metro lines and the RER which makes it always easy to get home. The hotel was great. And they have a roof-top guest only terrace that has amazing views of the city, including the Eiffel Tower. It was too cold for us to use much, but if it's warmer when you go stop at the market right next to the hotel on your way in and grab a bottle of wine and some fruit and head up to the terrace to relax for a bit before going to bed.

Posted by
61 posts

B.D., It was about 7 years ago, but I stayed at the Hotel Grand Leveque and loved it. It is located right on Rue Cler. The room was small, but clean. The staff was great and the location was great. It also had a great price. Rue Cler is located walking distance from the Eiffel Tower near the Ecole Militaire Metro Stop. Rue Cler and has a cheese shop, wine ship, fish shop, boulangerie, patisserie, a few fruit/vegetable shop & café's along this boulevard. Aside from a few delivery vehicles, it is a pedestrian street. You also might want to look up Hotel du Champs de Mar.
Note: Please look research both their current pricing as well recent reviews. I have heard a few negative comments on some reviews on both places recently, as I was there in 2006.

Posted by
11507 posts

BD there are market streets all over Paris, and I mean that, so please don't feel you need to limit yourself to Rue Cler for that experience.. Paris is a city with more then 3 million people in central city , so trust me they all have their market street faves and its not all in the 7th..