Please sign in to post.

hotel in Paris

Three adult women are looking to travel to Paris in May. Looking for a place that will speak English, be helpful in helping us find right bus or train, be walking distance to Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, Louvre, clean, safe, in room toilet/shower, inexpensive and have internet available. Breakfast included would be a plus. Am I asking for too much out of one place? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Posted by
166 posts

Check-out the Comfort Inn - Montparnesse. Although, not central location it is at the entrance to several metro lines and trains. It meets all your other requirements.

Posted by
10181 posts

I think you are asking too much out of one place. I will address your concerns in order - 1. You will have to find a place with a triple room, which will likely consist of a double bed and a single bed. 2. Most hotels have staff that speak English, but that does not mean they will be helpful. The buses and trains are not hard to figure out. 3. I don't know that there is a place that is within walking distance of every place you mentioned. 4. Clean and safe with an ensuite bathroom won't be hard to find, but not sure what inexpensive means to you. Many places have internet available. 5. Breakfast, if included will probably consist of a croissant and coffee. I wouldn't sweat it if you have to get your own. I don't know how long you will be there, but if you will be there at least 3 days my suggestion to you would be to rent an apartment. It will provide more space for 3 people than a tiny Parisian hotel room. It is often less expensive too. If you stay in the 4th, 5th or 6th arrondisments you will be fairly central, so within walking distance of many things. Most apartments include wifi, and many include a washer. Some even include a dryer. It's nice to have a kitchen to make coffee/tea in the morning, etc. My first trip we stayed in the 7th, near the Eiffel Tower. It was close to the Eiffel Tower, but nothing else. We preferred staying in the 5th (Latin Quarter), which was more convenient and a livelier location. I hope you have a great trip to my favorite city!

Posted by
33 posts

Hi Deborah. Take a look at the Hotel Saint Jacques, or Hotel de Deux Isles. Email and ask if they provide concierge services. Both offer breakfast for a fee. Good luck!

Posted by
403 posts

I don't know what exactly you have in mind by inexpensive, but you might look at the website for the Hotel castex, in the marais district, to see whether it will do. It meets your other requirements.

Posted by
2347 posts

Breakfast might be included but not what we are used to, just usually coffee and danish and if they do charge it can be really expensive. Most people speak English and the metro is very easy to navigate so although you won't find a hotel near all the sites you want, you can get to them easily. If you can get a place near the tower, I think the Louvre is only one or two stops away from that area. One day a month ( I think it is on the last Sunday, but not sure, but admission is free to Louvre. Also try to take a day trip via easy train connection to Versailles.

Posted by
101 posts

Thank you for all the suggestions, gives me something to research.

Posted by
9110 posts

The first thing to do is take a good look at a map. It's about three miles from Notre Dame to the ET somewhere in between is most of the stuff you'll want to see. Stay in the center of the cluster of where you'll be looking at stuff most. Then take the metro to the outlying spots and walk back (or vice versa). The Latin Quarter would work pretty well for a first-timer, since there are interesting areas to wander at the end of the day and eateries abound.

Posted by
784 posts

Well, "walking distance" depends on your idea of walking distance. We have stayed a number of times at Hotel Le Regent, at 61 rue Dauphine, in the 6th Arrondisement (the St. Germain area). The staff speaks English, was helpful to us with our questions, is clean, safe, has an ensuite toilet/shower and free WiFi. I don't know what your idea of inexpensive is. They have rooms for three people (we stayed in one last week), with a double bed and a single bed. To us, it's easy to walk from Hotel Le Regent to Notre Dame, the Louvre, Musee d'Orsay. We also walked from the hotel to the Orangerie, and once walked all the way to the Eiffel Tower, but most people would take the metro (actually, the RER) from the hotel to the Eiffel Tower. Many places "include" breakfast, but in France (as I understand it), hoteliers must provide an option of a room with or without breakfast. Depending on how much you eat for breakfast, you may find it much cheaper to go to a nearby cafe for coffee and a croissant and NOT purchase the breakfast that a hotel provides.

Posted by
138 posts

The hotel we stayed at in Paris was Hotel Beaugency, http://www.beaugency-paris-hotel.com/english/rates.html, and it is off Rue Cler the street Rick Steves features in his shows, and the metro stop is Ecole Militaire which has a wonderful café serving Chicken and fries that we loved right outside the entrance to the metro. Also it is steps to the Champs de Mars and the Eiffel Tower, and the River is about a 5 min walk where you can catch the boat ride at night. Have fun

Posted by
111 posts

you could check out the Hotel du Quai-Voltaire...it is right across the Seine from the Louvre...you can take the Batobus up and down the Seine for like 8 euros and get on and off like a hop on/hop off bus. My room was small but I was only a single. I had my own toilet and shower. It is not too far from the Orsay Museum also...I was only there for 1 night and just spent time in my room to sleep!

Posted by
32173 posts

Deborah, I doubt that you'll find a Hotel in Paris that fits all your criteria. Could you clarify whether you want one room for all three of you? One Hotel that you might look at is Hotel Muguet which is located in the Rue Cler area. It's within walking distance to the Eiffel Tower, Invalides and the Rodin Museum, and provides easy Metro access (Ecole Militaire station) to other parts of Paris. I have walked from that area to the Musee d'Orsay, and didn't find it too strenuous. Have a look at the prices on the website to see if they fit your budget. They do list triple rooms, if that's what you were considering. They also offer free Wi-Fi (if that's what you meant by "internet"). Breakfast is not included, but a Continental Breakfast is available. You could also have a look at Hotel Duquesne Eiffel which is in the same area (again, breakfast not provided but is available). One point to note is that some Hotels will include breakfast in a "package price" if the room is booked through a Travel Agent. You might find it very helpful to have a look at either the France or Paris Guidebooks, as they have lots of listing for Hotels in different price ranges in various parts of Paris. Happy travels!

Posted by
6 posts

I don't think you are asking too much from one place. Stay on the right bank - yu will be amazed at how easy it is to walk to everything and the metro is also very easy, safe and fast. Go to the Best Western website. They have over 50 hotels in Paris at all rates and are reliable and clean...we have stayed at several. Try he Hotel Paris Opera - small intimate and close to everything.

Posted by
101 posts

Thank you again for all the replies, I am checking out all the recommendations. One further question - Are bed bugs a concern in choosing a hotel in Paris?

Posted by
56 posts

Hotel Relais du Marais in the mArias by the Republique Metro is good, family run and reasonable with breakfast included. Most breakfasts are croissants and coffee, don't expect our American spreads of omelet station, pancakes, sausage etc..

Posted by
1068 posts

l'Hotel Hameau, 48 rue Passy I just typed a LONG LONG LONG detailed reply and the website dumped me out. Contact me directly if you would like details. This is an EXCELLANT and SAFE hotel in a pretty incredible location. Walking distance to Trocadero and the Eiffel Tower, and equidistant from the Muette and Passy Metro stops. We stay here every time we are in Paris - twice last year, and we're going again at the end of this month!

Posted by
101 posts

Thank you for the continued influx of recommendations. I'm checking them all out.

Posted by
9404 posts

Have you tried Hotel Jeanne d'Arc in the Marais?

Posted by
2 posts

another vote for the marignan hotel. i think it would be perfect. they have triples, and a small breakfast is included. be aware that there are two hotel marignan in paris and the one you could be interested in is on rue de sommerand. we have stayed here many times, and been pleased. location is excellent.

Posted by
365 posts

Hotel Marignan...that would be "Sommerard", not sommerand.