Please sign in to post.

Hotel in Nice

My husband and I are going to be in Nice early September and are looking to find a really nice hotel preferably on the Promenade, with a balcony would be really great. so far we are not having much luck. Our first choice was Suisse Hotel but can not get reservations. I have read RS suggestions and reviewed some on Trip Advisor. It appears the ones I think are good then get mixed reviews.
Can anyone suggest hotels they have stayed at and feel are really nice and we would enjoy?

Posted by
2091 posts

Mary, Keeping in mind it was 2008, we stayed at Mercure Marché aux Fleurs at 91 quai des Etats Unis on the Promenade des Anglais and absolutely loved it and the location. Regarding reviews, keep in mind that some people are extremely particular and expect US standards and service so I read reviews with a grain of salt. If most of the reviews are good with just a few bad ones, it's probably a good choice.
Best of luck!

Posted by
501 posts

Mary, I feel your pain, if you've ever stayed at Hotel Suisse, you just can't beat the location for the price, etc. if you have looked on Trip Advisor, you've probably looked at Hotel La Perouse, I'm uncertain if this was my second choice, but I remember a Hotel very close to Hotel Suisse, but not sure if it was Perouse or not, was ultra nice, but more expensive, and had mixed reviews, some views were excellent, others quite drab. It's possible the Hotel Suisse is booked due to a convention or you waited to long to make reservations. I think you'll love Nice no matter where you stay. good Luck!

Posted by
345 posts

We have also stayed at the Mercure Marche aux Fleurs and liked it. That was in 2006 and had one of the rooms that faced the Promenade. It was a superior sea view. We have booked it for our trip in April. We are also considering an apartment near the Cours Saleya but am waiting for more information about the number of stairs. Bad knees. We loved the Mercure because of its location. Since our last visit was 7 years ago, we understand the hotel may have a little wear and tear. I can deal with that IF the room is clean. I can deal with two star hotels sometimes even though my husband likes three starts. Mercures in France also have a deal for those who are over 60 years old. You get breakfasts free if one in your party is over 60. We also like the Logis brand hotels around France. They are owned by on site owners and often quite nice. Not 4 stars but they often have resturants that are very good. You can drink a little or a lot of wine and make it back to your room without driving.

Posted by
46 posts

Thank you everyone! I have taken your advise and booked Mercure Nice Marche Fleurs for our stay. Now if you can help with Annecy & Chamonix we will be all set. We will for sure think of you sipping a drink on our balcony!
Thanks again, Mary

Posted by
4140 posts

Mary , in Chamonix , THE place to stay is Hotel L'Oustalet on The Rue du Lyret near the Aiguille du Midi lift station . It is run by two very sweet sisters , Agnes and Veronique . I can't say enough about how enjoyable our stay was there. If they are booked , there is a Mercure just a block from the rail station , which I'm sure is nice , but L'oustalet would be my first choice . Ask for a room in the back with spectacular views of Mont Blanc .