Please sign in to post.

Hotel in Munich

Hi, going to Munich and looking for recommendations for hotels. There will be 3 adults and we just want to share a room, ensuite, with breakfast (if possible) Just looking for a clean, safe place to stay. Price around 125-150 euros per night, we are only going to be staying in Munich for 2 nights, and would like to be around the train station, Marienplatz area. We don't mind stairs or walking as that is how we plan to get around!

Ciao,

Christina

Posted by
32202 posts

Christina,

I would also recommend Hotel Uhland. It's about a 15-minute walk from the Munich Hbf, and in a nice "residential" area. The location isn't difficult to find, although the last Taxi Driver I used to get to the Hotel seemed to be a bit "confused" (I could have walked, but I was in a hurry that day). The staff are wonderful and the breakfasts are awesome!

They do have an Elevator / Lift, so you won't have to worry about stairs.

Happy travels!

Posted by
277 posts

Hotel Ludwig opposite the train station. Great breakfast. Went with 23 fam and friends. Review their web site and reviews on tripadvosor.com for specifics.

Posted by
19092 posts

A lot of people like Hotel Uhland. It's a couple of blocks south of the Bahnhof near Theresienwiese (the Oktoberfest grounds). I've never stayed there but I walked by it and it appeared to be very nice.

In Germany, any "reputable" accommodations will offer breakfast in the price, and Uhland does.

Hotel am Viktualienmarkt might also fit you requirements.

Depending on the date, those hotels should be about in your price range. I know of a few others, but they are probably less € than you want to pay.

Posted by
14507 posts

Hi,

If you plan on being in Munich for two nights and want to stay in the area of the train station, I suggest Europasischer Hof located right across from the Hauptbahnhof. It's opposite from the train station on Bayerstrasse 31 as you exit the station. I checked it out when I was there last June, a 3 star hotel with a restaurant as well. I didn't stay at the hotel but at the independent hostel a block away. It looked good inside. As Lee posted, any place that is worth it and not an absolute rip-off has breakfast included in the price in Germany, unless it's a chain hotel offerring a promo price and breakfast is separate.

The tel. no. of Europasischer Hof is 089/55 15 10.

Posted by
380 posts

I second the Europasischer Hof. My husband and I stayed there for 3 nights last March and had no complaints. We prepaid for our room and got a good deal, was 20% off if you prepaid so far in advance. The rooms were very nice, clean and had everything you needed. Our room faced Bayerstrasse and we had no problem with street noise during the night. The staff were very nice and helpful and the breakfast was excellent. Everything from cereals, variety of toast, yogurts, boiled eggs, to cold meats, eggs and sausage. Plenty of choices with coffee, tea and juices. You are directly across from the train station and the tram runs right in front of the hotel so you would have not problems getting to Marienplatz or anywhere else. We never felt uncomfortable during our stay.

Posted by
19092 posts

Can't anyone spell Europäischer Hof (Europaeischer Hof for those who can't umlaut)?

The Europäischer Hof might be a little out (high) of your price range, but it doesn't hurt to check. Their website is at www.heh.de.

They are convenient. In 2002, I took a picture of the hotel out the south entrance to the Hauptbahnhof. It's right across the street.

Note that they charge an arm and a leg for Internet access.

Posted by
28 posts

Wow, thanks for all the recommendations, we actually live in Stuttgart right now and have been to Munich once (Oktoberfest) and stayed in a chain hotel(followed friends advice) anyhow, we have vowed never to stay in one again while we are living & traveling in Europe. We used the helpline when we went to Madrid last month and thought I would give it a try again, as it worked out well. I appreciate all the help and will be checking them out. I actually found a pretty decent looking one called Litty's Hotel. Anyone had any experience with them?

Christina

Posted by
14507 posts

Lee,

Your pardon...I spelled Europaischer Hof intentionally without the umlaut, because I don't have that key and find using the replacement "e" as in ue, ae, oe combinations totally unattractive...it's ugly as in haesslich. Just assume I know where that umlaut should go. It's bad enough that the "Ess-tsett" was partially done away with...all bad variations on a theme, ie, the Schreibreform.

Posted by
2 posts

Stayed at the Hotel am Viktualienmarkt in 2008 summer and it was perfect for me and college age son. 5 min or less walk from Marienplatz, we walked to many places. Breakfast was delicious. Enjoy!

Posted by
19092 posts

Whatever. Do you mind if I just spell it "San Francico" because I think the 's' is ugly?

But that still doesn't explain Europasischer Hof. Just because you didn't like the 'e', doesn't mean you should substitute an 's'.

Posted by
345 posts

My! Did someone get out of the wrong side of the bed??

Posted by
14507 posts

That "s" as you pointed out was admittedly a mistake, a misspelling on my part...it should have read Europaischer Hof, since I don't have the umlaut key. What is ugly is the ae combination as a replacement for the umlaut.

Posted by
14 posts

I've stayed at the City Hilton which has a train station right below it.

Posted by
2193 posts

I’ve stayed at Hotel Uhland and can recommend it highly.

Posted by
19092 posts

Frd (sorry 'e' is ugly so I hav to spll your nam this way),

I don't hav an umlaut ky, ithur. But thr ar svural ways to do this.

On a PC, anyway (I don't know or want to know anything about thos fruity computurs), you can compos umlautd characturs by holding down tha Alt ky and typing a numbur cod on tha numric kypad.
<alt> 0228 is ä
<alt> 0246 is ö
<alt> 0252 is ü
<alt> 0196 is Ä
<alt> 0214 is Ö
<alt> 0220 is Ü
<alt> 0223 is ß

Or, sinc what you writ in that box gos to somons browsur and is intrprtd as HTML cod, you can us tha ampursand convntion,
&auml; is ä
&ouml; is ö
&uuml; is ü
&Auml; is Ä
&Ouml; is Ö
&Uuml; is Ü
&szlig; is ß

You could also compos tha charactur on Word (whil holding down <control&gt: and <shift> kys, prss ':', thn lt up and typ a, A, o, whatvur you want to umlaut. than cut and past it in. But that's a lot mor complicatd than tha two prvious mthods.

Tha point is that 'ä' is NOT tha sam lttur as 'a' - diffrnt pronunciation, diffrnt maning, somtims.

And, it is not up to you to dcid how words in somon ls's languag should be splld basd on whthr you think it looks prtty.

The 'ae' format actually has historical significance. that's how the words were once spelled, albeit the 'e' was a superscript, ae. In Sütterlin, the old German handwritten script, 'e' was basically two vertical strikes, with a connecting line and serifs. Writers simplyied it as two lines and printers made it two dots over the letter to save room.

Actually, if you wrote Oy·ro·pay·i·scher, that would be closer to the correct pronunciation.

Thank goodness there is no e umlaut!

Posted by
189 posts

Hotel Monaco is next to the train station, inexpensive, clean, safe. Dorsey

Posted by
430 posts

Though I prefer to stay adjacent to the Viktualienmarkt, I have stayed at the Hotel Monaco and can recommend it as well. I've been in the Hotel Uhland, and that appears to be a fine choice also.

Posted by
3 posts

Really Lee? I think you've shown off your peacock feathers enough. I really think that you are getting off subject. Fred was kind enough to offer Christina some assistance and I'm sure no one is looking for a lesson on spelling. If it made that big a difference to Christina she would have mentioned it.

Christina, you have gotten some great ideas from these kind folks and I'm sure you've already started researching these suggestions. Good luck.. once you've looked at a few and have narrowed the choices, go with your gut instinct. I'm sure you've travelled before. I hope to travel there myself someday. BTW, Stuttgart is a lovely city... just visited there myself last month. Cold, but nice.

M

Posted by
192 posts

We stayed at Hotel Uhland also and really liked it.

Posted by
14507 posts

Lee,

Thanks for the tips on making the umlaut with the Alt key. I am quite aware that the umlaut over the u, o, a, affects the pronounciation as I know you are aware. Nothing wrong with "e" by itself...it's the e in combination with a, as in spaet, o as in koennen, or u as in Tuer, fuer which I don't like; maybe you like the Schreibreform...I don't. And if I have to spell correctly to avoid misunderstanding as in hatte and haette, I will.

Posted by
345 posts

I have to say it - I stayed at the Europäischerhof last May and no complaints at all.

We have also stayed twice at the Hotel Mark (a sister hotel right around the corner) and it is also nice.

The thing about both of these hotels is the extensive breakfast, especially at the Europaeischerhof.

Their internet rates are quite a good deal.

Posted by
16 posts

Christina,
We have stayed at the Hotel Cristal several times, it is only a couple of blocks from the train station, has free breakfast and we had no complaints. You can walk to just about anywhere you want to go - shopping, sites and also so close to trains that all the short trips you may want to take are possible and convenient. We also stayed at the Deutsches Theater Hotel once. It was a block or so away from Hotel Cristal. It was nice too. It has been a few years since we have been so I cant comment on the price, however, would not hesitate to stay at either though Hotel Cristal is my favorite.
Anne

Posted by
3 posts

We stayed at the Europäischer Hof for two nights this week. On the positive side: three beds in a room, shower and toilet in the room, across the street from train station (convenient for arrival and departure), a missing curtain was noticed and replaced without our asking, and free WiFi in lobby and 2nd floor lounge, all for the price of 93 Euros per night w/ Rick's book. They held our bags at no cost for us upon arrival and checkout, too, though not locked up. Also a positive: AMAZING breakfast which they gave us for 18 Euros for three people. We did not need to eat again until dinner. Best breakfast we've had in any hotel, ever. Negative: Front desk clerks pretty stiff, room not clean by German standards (mold on ceiling over shower), and room smelled like someone had spilled a bottle of men's cologne on the carpet. Overall a very good value.