Please sign in to post.

hotel in Munich

We want to visit the Flight Museum and Christmas markets in Munich. Any hotel recommendations? Favorite places to eat other than the market?

Posted by
32212 posts

Carrie, I'd recommend having a look at either Hotel Royal or Hotel Uhland. Both are very comfortable. Hotel Royal is just a short distance from the station, so it's very convenient for getting to transportation. The area around the hotel was "under construction" last time I was there, but the interior of the hotel is great. Those two hotels are currently my "gold standard" for hotel breakfasts in Europe! I assume the Flight Museum you're referring to is the one at Oberschleissheim Airfield? It's a smaller museum (part of the Deutsches Museum) but very nicely organized and has some interesting displays. You'll need to take the S1 back towards the airport and disembark at Oberschleissheim. As I recall it's a bit of a walk from the station to the Museum, so you may want to use a Taxi (especially at Christmas time). My memory is a bit foggy, but there should be a sign in the station with the Taxi phone number (in the small snack bar?). I called them via cell phone, but I can't remember if there's a dedicated Taxi line there? For the trip back to the station, you can always make arrangements with the Taxi that you used from the station (get their business card so you have the phone number at hand). The staff at the Museum can also call a Taxi, but it may be a different service. Happy travels!

Posted by
1482 posts

There are many good hotels in Munich. We like the Hotel Bristol as it is easy walking distance to the Marienplatz and at an Ubahn Station for access to the rest of the city. The breakfast is good and the staff is very helpful. All these things can be said for many hotels in Munich.

Posted by
987 posts

I second the recommendation for Hotel Uhland. It is right along a bus route a couple of stops from the train station in a very comfortable feeling neighborhood. The staff is friendly and helpful, and the breakfast is great.

Posted by
846 posts

Hotel Blauer Bock is centrally located, within a short walking distance to Marienplatz. Nice staff, good breakfast.

Posted by
441 posts

Another vote for Hotel Uhland. It's about 1 block to a bus stop and about 3 blocks to a U-bahn station. Very clean, very good breakfast and very friendly people.

Posted by
1161 posts

Hotel Uhland is awesome and easy. We stayed there during Dec. and it has a bus stop right across the street that takes you anywhere you want to go. The Marienplatz was easy to get to. The hotel is in a residential area (the end of the block is the site of October Fest) and some awesome area churches are right there as well.

Posted by
10 posts

You have all been so kind in responding. I had already contacted Hotel Uhland since that was one of Rick's recommendations. It is just nice to get confirmation from others. I do appreciate the other suggestions but Hotel Uhland certainly seems to have the majority vote. It is beautiful from the picture also. I will make reservations right now. Thanks to all again. Ken, I truly appreciate all the extra information for travel to the museum. We will be renting a car so it will be much easier for us. We are traveling first to Fussen, then over to Salzburg, Austria and finally ending up in Munich. That is why the dilemma as we were also wondering about squeezing in Nuremburg. From my post about the Christmas markets, we are skipping Nuremburg since we were mostly going for them. So we will be staying in Munich and "playing" there. Our son is in the U.S. Air Force, stationed in England, that is why the desire to see the flight museum. I do believe we are talking about the same one as part of the large museum. Again, your time with travel directions is greatly appreciated. Hope you all have a wonderfully blessed fall.

Posted by
12172 posts

I really like staying in Pensions in Munich. The quality standard is very high and the price affordable.