Please sign in to post.

Hotel Hillen in Bacharach, Germany

We have stayed at Hotel Kranentrum twice before but would like to try a different place. Does hotel Hillen have the same charn as Hotel K? Do they serve a buffet breakfast? The prices look much better but is it as nice?

Weldon
B.G. KY

Posted by
850 posts

Stayed there in 2004. Like many buildings in Bacharach it is old but old often times gives the building character. We enjoyed our stay and the rates were very reasonable. They do serve breakfast but I do not remember if it was buffet syle or not. Don't think so but I could be wrong. Never having stayed in Hotel Kranenturm I could not compare the two. I do remember the Hotel Kranenturm and my impression is that it would definitely have more charm than the Hotel Hillen. I tried to book there but it was full so we opted for Hotel Hillen and took the advice of Rick and asked for a room on the quiet (ruhig) side. The hotel faces the Rail tracks so a room in the back of the hotel is advisable. We had no trouble sleeping and did not hear the trains. That could have been because it was our first two nights there and being tired from the trip over we were in a heavy sleep mode.

Posted by
7 posts

Jackie, Love Bacharach. Just a suggestion. We stayed at the Castle, which is a hostel, but you do not have to belong, just pay a small fee, rooms were very spartan, and had bunk beds, but we loved staying there. No TV, all ages, was quiet and from Rick Steve's book found number for taxi if don't want to walk up hill.

Posted by
1482 posts

We stayed at the Pension im Malerwinkel this spring. It is run by a husband and wife team, who are very dedicated in their work. The setting is great, up a small walk way from the city along a stream. We could hear the stream all night from our room. There is ample parking on the backside.

The breakfast was excellent. It is mostly a buffet but they bring rolls and drinks to the table. They offer to prepare you an egg.

The room was the nicest and the best bargain on our trip.

Regards, Gary

Posted by
74 posts

Hey Jackie! We stayed at Hotel Hillen back in April of this year. Its a charming place but not quite at the same level as the Kranenturm. Eric and Iris were wonderful hosts. They serve a typical German breakfast - assorted rolls, meats, cheeses, fruit and juices. Nothing fancy but satisfying none the less. We stayed on the back side of the hotel away from the tracks and the slight train noise wasn't a bother. We had a lovely view of the castle from our large window. I'd recommend a stay at Hotel Hillen to anyone visiting Bacharach. We're planning a return trip for next May. Hope you have a great time.