Please sign in to post.

Hostel Recommendations in Paris?

I'm traveling with a friend and we're staying for a few nights in Paris. We're looking for more of a quiet hostel vs. a party one. We're both young (in our early 20's) and female, so a safe area would be great as well. Anywhere in the city, as long as it's close to the Metro would be fine. Thanks for the help!

Posted by
521 posts

Hi Megan,

When I went to Paris, I was also looking for a hostel but I could not find something that worked for me in a decent price range. Instead, I actually managed to find a very decent hotel room for the two of us that ended up being less expensive than many of the hostels out there. Obviously this may not always happen, but I would suggest that you not rule it out until you first check to see what deals are available.

I used the Paris Info website, which is run by the Paris Convention and Visitors Bureau (basically an organization of the hotels) and you can often find hotel rooms at a 50% discount. At least, give it a try and compare it to the available hostels.

Have a great trip!

Posted by
162 posts

5 years ago I stayed at the BVJ Louvre. And my current up to date guidebook, Rough Guides, says its for 18-35 year olds, but I'm older than that, and I was then. I don't know what their policy is on age. The hostel is quite basic but well located.

Posted by
8700 posts

Any of the three MIJE hostels in the Marais would be excellent. They are renovated 17th-century private mansions and are described by both Rick Steves and Lonely Planet as "the best budget accommodations in Paris."

Posted by
5678 posts

Wow, this is really interesting to see. All these good recommendations for clean hostels that are easy to get to in Paris! I remember that back in the dark ages of the 70's Paris was notorious for having the worst hostels in Europe. They were crowded, dirty, and far away from everything. My memory is of bugs, watery fish stew, and rather unpleasant bathrooms. I'm so happy to hear how this has improved! ; ) Happy hosteling. Pam

Posted by
71 posts

My daughter tried to get into the MIJE hostels (her first choice), but they were full. She found a reservation at Hotel Marignan, which has hostel conditions and prices. It doesn't sound like it is a party hostel, and a lot of families stay here. It is located in the Latin Quarter of Patris. I think she found it in her "Let's Go Western Europe" book. It got good reviews on Trip Advisor as well.

Posted by
3580 posts

I always look in the LET'S GO books when I want to find budget lodging, including hostels. For two people, a budget hotel is sometimes cheaper than two hostel beds.