Please sign in to post.

Hiking in Switzerland

If I get only one chance in my life to spend 10 to 12 days hiking in Switzerland, what would be the best route to consider? Walker's Haute Route? Mont Blanc? Jungfrau Region? Something else? Help!

Posted by
453 posts

I used to live in Switzerland and hiked virtually every weekend during the summer. I would without a doubt recommend the Berner Oberland (which encompasses the Jungfrau region). The place is loaded with hiking trails from easy to incredibly strenuous. The scenery is incredible and if you get tired there are usually huts, small towns or small berg restaurants that offer simple refreshments. Ive hiked all over Europe and this is easily my favorite region. You might also want to consider hiking in the Engadin. Again loads of trails and incredible scenery. In either case trailheads can be reached by mountain railways, gondolas, chairlifts or post buses.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks so much for your input! I have looked at both those regions and they all look so incredible. I am also debating whether to go the self-guided route or do a guided tour through something like Alpenwild. I don't know if I can wait for another year to do this trip...it might be sooner than later. :)

Posted by
3 posts

Agree with Marcus re Jungfrau region. We stayed in Lauterbrunnen in 2009 and the hiking is spectacular for any level hiker. Very easy to get around all the towns and villages; we had Eurailpasses.
Barbara, Sunderland, MA 4/1/11

Posted by
18 posts

I spent 3 days hiking in the Gimmelwald/Lauterbunnen area this past October. It was a highlight of my 3 week trip throughout Europe. I was incredibly lucky, with three days of perfect weather. I went prepared for typical mountain weather and would recommend doing the same as the weather can change dramatically.

Posted by
16337 posts

Donna, would you like to do a through-route (hut to hut or village to village), with luggage transport, etc., or are you thinking of basing in one or two area and doing dayhikes? Your reference to the Walker's Haute Route and TMB suggest you are thinking of the former. The people who have posted above are mostly talking about dayhikes from a base. If you are an experienced enough hiker to consider the Haute Route or TMB, you won't be happy with only one trip to Switzerland-you'll want to return. So don't look upon this as your "one chance" to hike there. We have been 4 times, for 2 weeks of hiking each time. We stay in villages and dayhike from there, but we move around to different regions, spending 3 or 4 nights in a place before moving on. While the Berner Oberland is spectacular, and very user-friendly for hikers, I personally wouldn't spend all my time there. Our 2 favorite hikes in Switzerland are elsewhere-one in the Valais region and one to a mountain hut near Kandersteg. With 12 days, you could spend 6 in the BO and 3 days each in two other areas. To be continued. . .

Posted by
16337 posts

If you want to do a through route, there is a section of the Alpine Pass route that takes you right through the heart of the Berner Oberland, from Meringen to Kandersteg, via Schwartzwaldalp, Grosse Scheidegg, Grindelwald, Mannlichen/Kleine Scheidegg, Wengen, Lauterbrunnen, Mürren, Sefinenfurke, Hohturli, Oeschinensee, and down to Kandersteg. But parts of that (from Grindelwald to Mürren) you would be hiking parallel or nearly so to a road, traintrack or lift, so you could pick and choose your sections to avoid thos if you wish. If you want to hike the haute Route or TMB, signing up with a company that organizes things for you (even as a self-guided trip) makes the logistics a lot easier. There is also a 12-day circuit above Zermatt, hut to hut, that I find very tempting. Too many choices! but for a first trip, I would suggest the 2 or 3 bases idea.

Posted by
1167 posts

A few years ago we did the Walkers Haute Route from Chamonix to Zermatt and it was spectacular. The overnights are a combination of mountain refuges and villages so you have the option of skipping sections or "bailing" if the weather gets bad. There are several excellent guidebooks that have the details. You can definitely do it without a guide.

Posted by
3 posts

Wow! I am really excited about all the feedback I received. Thank you all for taking time to offer suggestions through your personal experiences. Great feedback and suggestions. I'm starting to think whatever decision I make will be a good one. I'm leaning toward the through hike on the Haute Route. Can anyone share their own experience on this trek?

Posted by
54 posts

We loved Switzerland, our favorite trip so far. We loved hiking Berner Oberland, Mount Riggi near Lucerne, and Appenzell.

Posted by
54 posts

We loved Switzerland, our favorite trip so far. We loved hiking Berner Oberland, Mount Riggi near Lucerne, and Appenzell.

Posted by
118 posts

We fell in love with Bernese Oberland, especially Lauterbrunnen area. We are planning to go back again for the 6th time because there are some trails that we haven't hiked yet and several that we want to do again. I haven't hiked in any other Swiss area because I haven't tired of this one yet. Wherever you decide to go, it will be spectacular. And enjoy the anticipation.