Please sign in to post.

Help with itinerary.

Hello,
I am leaving for Europe in less than two weeks. So far I have decided that I will be doing Berlin, Munich and Florence. After I have 9 days in which I was planning on doing Cinque Terre, South of France, Spain (Barcelona and Valencia). I realize this is too short. What should I visit, please help me!!

Posted by
1589 posts

We need a few specifics to offer any real help. What airports for arrival and departure?

Posted by
11 posts

Well I am in Europe for three weeks. Starting Berlin, then Munich, then Florence. I have 9 days from there to get to Spain where I am taking a flight from Seville to Dublin. I am thinking of changing the flight to Barcelona-Dublin. As we will not have sufficient time to get to Seville and I'd rather spend more time along the coast.
Thanks again!

Posted by
11 posts

I need help figuring out an itinerary from Florence to Barcelona or Valencia. Which towns should I visit in South of France and maybe cinque terre. I want to see some beautiful beaches in South of France, Spain and perhaps Italy. Any suggestions?

Posted by
6898 posts

Ditto on the above. While awaiting further info, it's an 8.5hr-11hr train ride from Munich to Florence. There are a few trains that you stay on for the entire journey. If you want to see all of the museums, art and flavor of Florence, I suggest 3 days/4 nights. Stay longer if the magic of Florence gets to you. It's a 2.5hr train ride from Florence to the CT. From the CT, you can train into Southern France without going through Milan (you go past Monaco). It's important to know where you are exiting Europe. It would be quite a trip in you were in Spain and had to get back to Berlin. It may be best to fly into one city and exit through another (if that opportunity is available). It's a 25-hr train ride from Barcelona to Berlin with up to 5 train changes.

Posted by
4132 posts

You may be disappointed if you want beautiful sandy beaches, less so if you like rugged coastline. Still there is a lot to see. But before rushing off to fill up those nine days I would make sure I have allotted enough time in Berlin, Munich, Florence, and Seville, including travel days. You may have less "extra" time than you think.

Posted by
11 posts

thank you for all your help. The 9 days are those from Italy to Spain. After I will be flying to Dublin and then to Paris where I will spend 3 days before heading back to Canada.

Posted by
6898 posts

Much better. My post above still stands for Florence and getting to the CT. If you choose to stay in the CT, you should look at 2 nights or so. You can see the 5 towns in one long day but to really enjoy, you need 2-3 days. We did 2 days which included the walks and hikes between the towns. From the CT, you can be in Nice in under 4 hours on a Eurocity (EC) train. The EC train runs from Genoa which is northwest of the CT. From there, you have the Cote d'Azur, Cannes and Marseille as you head southwest. From there, you can either hit the mid-Pyrennes or continue down the coast into Spain. This is sounding better and better as I write this post. Have fun.

Posted by
11 posts

Thanks Larry, that actually sounds great. You are right about Cinque Terre, I think one day would be too little. I do want to see a lot, but i also dont want to rush everywhere. I didnt realizae CT was so close to Nice, excellent! I think I can actually pull this off. : )

Posted by
6898 posts

Update. I looked at the schedule and it's about an hour to get from Monterosso to Genoa so the total time from the CT to Nice would be just about 5 hours.

Posted by
705 posts

I have taken the train from Florence to Genoa and it went via Pisa. It was a lovely trip and with lots of sea views. I then took the train from Genoa to Nice and had magnificent views along the whole way. That whole coast is really lovely and although they don't have great sandy beaches they are lovely. Nice was great, the old part really interesting and a walk along the promonade a must. I don't think you could go wrong stopping anywhere along the way. Personally I'd leave CT for your next trip when you can devote more time to seeing it. It is worth it.

Posted by
13 posts

Stephanie,
Just a couple of thoughts to add. When in the Cinque Terra, we stayed at Hotel Pasquale in Monterosso del Mare. Wonderful people with a nice view of the Mediterranean (you may have to ask for a view). Catch the boat in the morning down to Riomaggiore, then walked along the hillside trail back to Monterosso. There are no beautiful beaches; just beautiful views, people, wine, food, and kitties galore.
In southern France, if you're looking for something a little less hectic than Nice, you might try staying in Antibes or one of the other smaller towns to the west of the city. We stayed in Antibes and ate at an absolutely WONDERFUL cafe called 'il etait un fois' which translates into "once upon a time..." This is a small, family owned and operated cafe across the street from the Mediterranean. It has some funky paintings of giraffes on the wall and the food was simple, but incredible. It isn't in any of Ricks books, but really needs to be added.
ENJOY.

Posted by
11 posts

Thanks everyone, you guys have been most helpful!!! I can't wait to be Europe. I'm looking forward to eating some great food, drinking good wine and having a good time!
Merci! : )