Please sign in to post.

Health insurance

Is is wise to buy health insurance while in Lisbo0n for 6 days? If it is, how do I select the best provider?

Posted by
23341 posts

Depends on how health you are, what you would be doing, your current insurance coverage, etc. You might look at Insuremytrip.com or squaremouth.com You will see a combo of travel and health policies. We don't worry about fifty cents and a dollar (nickel and dime after inflation). What we want is "get us home" insurance in case of a major emergency or injury.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks. Age is 64 and pretty good health. Will be in Lisbon and day trips from there. I don't think my current Blue Cross policy offers me iny coverage and I was concerned about injuries and transport costs.

Posted by
23341 posts

We self insured (some called it gambling) till 70, now we have a major, year around policy from medexassist.com to cover all trip - foreign and domestic. You BC/BS should provide some coverage. Call them.

Posted by
8171 posts

Barbara: I'm on Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield, and I'm covered anywhere in the world for health and hospitalization insurance. My wife is on Medicare, and she's not covered out of the U.S. Anyone on Medicare needs to obtain travel insurance anytime they leave the U.S., including Mexico or Canada. Travel insurance costs vary, and the coverages also vary. Many need policies that are mainly for hospitalization/healthcare and leave off other coverages not commonly needed. You can research the companies online.
Some travel policies are very reasonably priced.

Posted by
157 posts

I have BCBSTX and am covered so long as I meet my deductible and go to a doctor and facility within their network (pay difference if I go out of network).

Posted by
2193 posts

"I don't think my current Blue Cross policy offers me iny coverage..." Call your provider and get the facts. If your statement turns out to be accurate, then you should buy a travel insurance policy. An accident or unforeseen medical problem could happen to anyone...your age and general health really won't matter in this scenario. One should never go without coverage...here, there, or anywhere.

Posted by
9102 posts

Also keep in mind that even if BC does cover you overseas for medical expenses it might not also cover evacuation/repatriation. These charges can be very expensive. For example if you suffer a severe leg/hip break that requires special arrangements to get you back home to recuperate those charges can range anywhere from $50,000 to $100,000!

Posted by
1830 posts

Barbara, call Member Services for your Blue Cross and they can tell you your coverage in Europe and how to file a claim. You will probably have to pay cash and be reimbursed since the European doctors/facilities will be out of network. If you are Medicare age and have a medical supplement policy, some overseas medical expenses can be covered. (PS. I work for a Blue Cross.)

Posted by
2788 posts

If you have so much money that you can afford to pay for any medical care or emergencies (including being flown back to the US) then I would suggest that you skip the medical insurance. However, if you are like me (a retired guy living on a pension), you take out medical insurance every summer when I go to Europe since my Medicare coverage is not valid in Europe. I could no more afford medical evacuation than I could replacing my 1985 car.

Posted by
4 posts

Barbara, I have Blue Cross/Anthem hmo and read on their website if I was abroad and had to get medical treatment, to put anything on my credit card, save receipts, and I would be reimbursed back home once everything was submitted and approved. Im sure it depends on your individual policy, but a good one should cover you even when away from home.
Have a good trip!

Posted by
989 posts

If you are covered by any Blue Cross/Shield plan, look at your ID card. If there is a little suitcase in the lower corner, you are covered world-wide. You should have the same benefits, deductibles, coinsurances and Exclusions that you have on your regular plan.