Please sign in to post.

Hamburg

Going to Hamburg to visit family. Any ideas for what to do for one full day and a couple of half days? We do have a day trip planned to Luneberg. We will have 14 and 18 year old girls with us. Thanks.

Posted by
2779 posts

As for a half-day: How about a trip thru Scandinavia, Switzerland, all major German cities and even the Grand Canyon? The world's largest miniature railway is in Hamburg and it does take hours to see it all. You won't find any miniature world done better, more realistic and with more detail than this! I promise! http://www.miniatur-wunderland.com/Do spend a couple of hours on a harbor cruise and also cruise the Alster, the big downtown lake. Hamburg has got more bridges than Vencie, Italy!Lüneburg is great and you should also spend a day in Lübeck, a gem, hidden secret. And if you've got some time left take a day cruise to Helgoland island - not just for the tax-free shopping but for the natural beauty.And of course you should take a guided (!) tour through the Wadden Sea which is under UNESCO protection and absolutely unique in the world!

Posted by
1976 posts

I recommend the Kunsthalle. I was there July 9 and the current special exhibition was a huge, fascinating one about sustainable living in an imagined post-apocalyptic world. The Nikolai Memorial is very haunting and spiritual. If it isn't too hot, a walk through HafenCity is fun because of all the cool modern architecture. I didn't take a boat ride on the Alster (I wish I had!) but my friend and I enjoyed a good walk around part of the Aussenalster.

Posted by
21 posts

A harbor boat tour as suggest above is a really great for a half day and the girls should find it interesting. The shopping district of Moenkeburgstrasse would grab the attention of any teenage girl and is close to the Kunsthalle recommended above. Another great idea if you are here after the 05 of Dec is to go to the winter Dom – one of Europes largest fairground with lots to see and do. Last but not least is the many Christmas Markets, the best is by the Rathaus – Townhall. You can get of at Jungfernstieg metro station.

Posted by
14507 posts

Hi, Take a harbor tour (Hafenrundfahrt) and/or a city tour to get an overview of North Germany's cultural center. Absolutely agree with Lüneburg, ca 40 mins by train, a couple of great museums there. True, a "hidden gem." No Americans go to Lüneburg. In Berlin the Hard Rock Cafe is a few mins. walk from Bahnhof Zoo.

Posted by
12040 posts

Zombie thread... their trip happened over two years ago.