Please sign in to post.

Hallstatt

We watched Rick's video of Hallstatt, Austria and thought it looked beautiful. Has anyone been there and is it as wonderful as it seems?

Posted by
2931 posts

Hi Susan,
We went to Hallstatt 2 years ago in October based on what we saw on Rick Steves' show. Very pretty place in a beautiful setting. The "bone chapel" was a bit of a disappoitment for us though. Very small. All I can say is that we're glad we went and spent a long afternoon there (from Ramsau, Berchtesgaden area). The drive from Berchtesgaden/Salzburg area to Hallstatt (about 1:30 drive) was gorgeous also! We have some photos at:

www.worldisround.com/home/pja1/travel11.html

Paul

Posted by
6788 posts

Was there for a couple days in September of 2006, loved it. Very cute, nice little town. Rick's description was quite accurate (of course). We were there towards the end of September, and it was evident that things were definitely winding down, although there were still a good number of tourists in town. I bet it gets very crowded during the summer high season.

Posted by
203 posts

I was there in 2001, and yes, it was wonderful. We just stopped there for lunch, and it was raining a little. I thought the bone chapel was amazing, and we visited the little city museum and learned something about the area's history that I didn't know before. It would've been a great place to stay overnight because then we would've been able to think about all that we were seeing.

Posted by
368 posts

Hi Susan:

I was there in 2006 and loved it. We were there in mid May. If you look at the tour member feed back on the Germany, Austira & Switzerland tour, many of the members want another day there. I agree.

Posted by
850 posts

We were there in June 2004. In addition to the bone chapel (it is small) and the salt mine which is a fun tour, there is also the ice caves above Hallstatt. It is a beautiful area.