Please sign in to post.

Grande Randonee

My wife and I are thinking of visiting france on foot using the trail system. We haven't yet decided on any particular area. We are interested in hearing about any experiences you may have with this type of vacationing in France.

Posted by
2 posts

I did a week of walking in SW France on one of their main trails, the GR 65 along with a French friend (also called the chemin de St Jacques de Compostele, the extension of the camino in Spain). The trail has been used for over 1000 years and is rich with history. We reserved ahead in pilgrim's hostels (cheap and they also offer breakfast and supper), but there are an abundance of B&B's (called chambres d'hotes in France) and hotels along the way. I recommend 2 publications: The first is one of a series of books published by the FFRP, the French hiking assn. They are books specific to each major trail with detailed maps, step by step directions to avoid getting lost, and a lot of local history. Unfortunately, they are published only in French, but if you are OK with that, you can order the books on line www.ffrandonee.fr If you plan on hiking the camino, then there is also a great publication called "Miam Miam Dodo" which also is only available in French. It gives details on each town you would pass through including accommodation, restaurants, laundries, stores and train/bus access. it can be ordered by contacting the British Confraternity of St James website at http://www.csj.org.uk/acatalog/The_CSJ_Bookshop_Pilgrim_Guides_7.html Happy hiking
Mel