Please sign in to post.

Going on the France 15 Day ETBD in Sept 2010/What to bring?

I am going on the France 15 Day ETBD first two weeks of Sept 2010. I have not been on a Rick Steve bus tour and never been to France except for Paris. Is there anyone who has been on the tour that can tell me what type of clothes one should bring.

I am a female and there is going to be a canoe trip. What clothes to bring for France and for this canoe trip?

Is there anything I should do or bring to prepare myself for this trip?

Thanks.

Posted by
211 posts

1) What you should do to prepare for your trip - the most important thing to do is relax and get as much rest beforehand as possible so you are well rested and ready to go when you land.

2) As far as clothing goes, bring layers. Paris may be hot but it may also be cool, especially at night, with it generally getting warmer the farther south you go.

My feeling towards clothing is to wear what I would typically wear at home, I don't buy specific or special travel clothes etc. I'm heading to London and Paris for 10 days in late September and I've already started to sketch out my wardrobe, the weather will be a bit cooler for me, but you can use it with Rick's Women's packing list to plan. I plan on bringing 1 fancy dress, 1 casual dress and 1 dress in between that with a change of accessories can take me from day to night. 2 pairs of premium dark wash straight leg jeans, one pair of dress pants, one black skirt, and then a mixture of 2 tank tops, 2 button ups, 2 t-shirts and 3/4 cardigans to mix and match in neutrals. Light weight summer scarves and accessories help change things up, and a trench style jacket.
Shoes: 1 pair of black day flats, one pair of dressy flats and a pair of calf length boots (you should sub sandals)

Hope this helps, have a fantastic trip!

Posted by
796 posts

Hi Ann. I would suggest that you do some reading to plan for your free time on your tour. The first tour I went on I did not read up on things I could do or see when I had a free afternoon or day. I suggest reading up on other guides (I use the library) like Rough Guide, Lonely Planet, Moon guide. The tour guide was very helpful but I now know that I would have made better choices if I had read up. The tour itinerary should outline when you have free time. Now saying that, don't do too much in your free time. Make sure to have some time to sit in a cafe with an espresso or glass of wine or Pastis my favorite. On my last trip on my own, I caught up in my journal in the late afternoon when I was having a rest and a drink at an outdoor cafe.

I have not been on that particular tour, so I can't recommend clothes for teh canue trip. The previous poster made great clothing suggestions. I created my own packing list based on Ricks list and I really kept to it, it was really hard to do, but I was glad that I did pack light. Washing out clothes in the sink is not a big deal, quick dry clothing is important.

Have a great trip.