Please sign in to post.

Gimmelwald

Going to Switzerland the last week of April. Will I be significantly limited as to what I can do due to snow still being around. Will there be some hiking available around Gimmelwald by that time? Should I stay in Gimmelwald or Murren? Tram to Schilthorn or train to Jungfrau operating at that time? Appreciate your guidance!

Posted by
65 posts

As for where to stay...

We're going in May and Rick recommended staying in Lauterbrunnen on one of his episodes, so we booked at the Staubbach there. There is a fairly recent post on that town. The hotel seems like a good deal. We went directly to their website.

Posted by
12040 posts

Gimmelwald and Murren are virtually deserted throughout most of April, and the hiking options are limited either by snow or by the snow melt-off. You can certainly visit at this time of year (including the Schilthorn and Jungfrau summits), but lodging and dining options are severely limited. You may want to consider staying in the valley or in Interlaken.

Posted by
6898 posts

The last week of April is right in the middle of "shoulder" season in the Lauterbrunnen Valley. Most places are closed during this period as they transition to summer from winter skiing. Do you have a place to stay there? I think Walter's may be open at that time? Check the RS book carefully. You might also look at the Chalet Fontana in Muerren. Muerren is a larger village. You won't believe how small Gimmelwald is.

You can get to Muerren and the top of the Shilthorn. The gondolas will be open. As for hiking, most of the snow should be gone but expect the trails to be quite wet from runoff. Also, as one traveler reported on this site, this is the time of year when the farmers are spraying the upper meadows with liquid manure for summer grazing. Still, it's so scenic you won't believe it.

Posted by
3 posts

Wow - thanks for such timely responses! So what's better - the Schilthorn or Jungfrau if you had a choice between one or another?
thanks

Posted by
281 posts

I spent two hours on the phone yesterday with my sister who lives between Bern and Interlaken. It was snowing like mad, and was predicted to continue through most of today. That said, I would not plan on much hiking in the Berner Oberland in April. But don't despair. Ballenberg will be open on the other side of the Brienzersee from Lauterbrunnen, et al, and is well worth a few hours or even a day if it peaks your interest. Also, just the other side of Bern are the towns of Murten and Avenches. Spring is absolutely beautiful in the rolling hills and lakes of this area. Lots of Wildflowers. Bicycling between the villages is a great way to spend a day. In other words, if things mucky and muddy as the snow melts in the mountains, you can find lots to do down lower.

Gute Reise.
Kevin

Posted by
12040 posts

BTW, Walter's Hotel Mittaghorn in Gimmelwald is closed during April.

Posted by
32331 posts

Bob,

My preference would be to stay in Murren or Lauterbrunnen, which would allow visits to both Gimmelwald and the Schilthorn. The Jungfrau trip is a bit "pricey", but that could also be done.

The "last week of April" is still a month away. No doubt there will still be some snow, the weather should be starting to improve.

Happy travels!

Posted by
1 posts

I'll be in Gimmelwald the last week of April. We're staying at the Mountain Hostel, which has received rave reviews. We're going with a friend who spent a summer there and he said it will be a great time for hiking and just enjoying the scenery. We can't wait! Perhaps we'll see you there.