Please sign in to post.

Gibraltar

Based on what I've read on Fodors.com talk it's not a good place to go but we need to stop and get an overview since we'll be right there.

How long does it take to see the basics there?

Posted by
147 posts

OK, tks as I was planning on about 3 hours or so.

Posted by
4555 posts

Less than a day. Follow Rick's instructions on his tour of Gibraltar (ride the bus out to the south tip of Gibraltar, then back to the cable car....cable car to the top, then a walk down the pedestrian mall) and you'll have seen just about all there is to see. Don't say there....hotels are ridiculously expensive. Nearby Algeciras in Spain has nothing to recommend it. If you're going to be there, you might as well take the time to visit. Since you likely won't get a passport stamp, buy a postcard, affix a Gibraltar stamp, and send it to yourself as a souvenir! And watch out for the rock apes..they bite!

Posted by
2779 posts

I agree, three hours maximum. We were there in 2002 and it took us almost one hour to re-enter Spain (aka Schengen). Make sure you get a more up-to-date information on how customs work these days.

Posted by
147 posts

OK, tks.

I was planning on following Rick's advice of parking my rental car in the parking lot at the bus station in La Linea. Do you think the car would be safe with our luggage there?

Posted by
4555 posts

We flashed our passports during our May visit, and walked right back into Spain. We used an underground car park that I think Rick has listed in his guide....about a block from the border, well-lit and large with a rental agency located there, so not much opportunity for B and E's. Just put the luggage in the trunk so it can't be seen.

Posted by
5 posts

I spend part of a day in Gibraltar about three months ago. It's a nice day trip from Sevilla if you don't mind a long bus ride. However, the countryside is pretty. Once there, remember that British pounds are the currency, so it's expensive shopping. Insted of taking the cable car - as most of the tourists do, and the lines can get long - watch for one of the independent tour bus groups as you walk down Main Street. We found one that gave us a tour in English and Spanish, only took 4-5 people at a time, and saw the caves, the monkeys, and the Strait of Gibraltar for 25 euro per person. The driver was amusing, full of tales and history, and even dropped us off right at the border so we didn't have to take any public transportation or walk. Definitely park on the Spanish side of the border and walk...it's a short distance, and saves a lot of time.