Please sign in to post.

Germany trip May 2011

I am in the planning stages of my 2011 trip and need lots of help. Posted in ..to the East and was adviced to Post: To the West I have my flight tickets and will be arriving in Munich on 05/28/11 I will leave Munich for Nice, France on June 10th. Help Help Help! I was in Munich last year and saw the usual things in the city. I would like to take day train trips. Won't have a car. Last year I took a train to Lake Constance but didn't go anywhere else. Where can I go by train and return in the Evening to Munich.? I would also like to take a train to Prague and stay there for a couple days and if possible to Budapest. I have two weeks to play with. I have already been to Austria. I want to focus on photographic towns around Munich. I could even spend the night elsewhere. Yes, I have Rick Steve's book and many brochures from last year. I know fellow travelers will know where to go by train and still base back in Munich. OH, I love gardens! Didn't go to any museums in Munich as I didn't have enough time last year.
I did post before Christmas but didn't get much feedback. Any ideas will be much appreciated. For Munich, Prague and maybe Budapest

Posted by
32173 posts

Virginia, There are LOTS of opportunities for day trips from Munich! You mentioned that you've already been to Austria, but did that include Hallstatt (lots of photo op's!)? One place you might consider is Berchtesgaden, as it's a very scenic alpine town. There's also some history there with the Eagle's Nest, Dokumentation Centre and also a Salt Mine which can be toured. If you haven't been to the Castles in Fussen, that's another possibility. If you haven't been to any Museums in Munich, the Deutsches Museum is really interesting. There are so many different parts and different subjects, it's easy to spend hours there just wandering around. Happy travels!

Posted by
1986 posts

It does sound like you could cut your time in and around Munich and do a trip North (?) to include Rothenberg, Nuremburg, Bamburg(?) with a couple of nights in each. Not sure about gardens though. If you have been to lake Constance did you see the gardens at Mainau? Quite spectacular, although not my cup of tea

Posted by
296 posts

I would take my camera and hit a few of Munich's best beer gardens. Many a beautiful pictures to be had there for sure.

Posted by
12040 posts

I suggest you buy either of these two books - Fodor´s 25 Great Drives in Germany or Eyewitness Travel Germany. Both can offer dozens of less obvious daytrip suggestions outside of Munich.

Posted by
26 posts

I spent a month in Munich a few years ago studying at the International Youth Library and I had the opportunity to go on several day trips. I really enjoyed King Ludwig's castle at Chiemsee, the medieval town of Regensburg (World Heritage site), the towns around Lake Constance (especially Lindau) and an overnight trip to Salzburg.

Posted by
10 posts

You might consider heading over to Salzburg. Not that far, and the Mirabel gardens (look for the dwarf statues, too) are impressive.

Posted by
813 posts

Stuttgart. It's 2 hours and has fabulous architecture, history (Ludwigsburg palace is especially fun), museums, and world-class restaurants. Visit the mercedes factory, a fun tour. Going to Budapest puts you really far from Nice, I wouldn't head that far east in your short amount of time.

Posted by
331 posts

Tegernsee, south of Munich is easily doable in a day, great places to eat on the banks of the lake, beergardens, boat trips, swimming (possible in May but not for the fainthearted) views of the Alps etc.

Posted by
69 posts

I second Rothenburg, Nuremberg, and Bamberg all as day trips from Munich. Rothenberg is a cute walled medieval city, but I'd say a couple hours there and you are done. It's right on the edge of being too touristy for me now, especially compared to how it was when I first went in 1990. Bamberg, on the other hand, seems not to be visited by too many tourists, has a UNESCO world heritage site, was virtually untouched by bombs in WWII, and is a living vibrant city, not just a tourist haven. It is a VERY photographic town, and has more breweries than Munich. Try the rauchbier (smoked beer). Nuremberg has a great medieval walled old city, though it was extensively restored after being bombed in WWII. The Nazi Party Rally Grounds and Documentation Center are definitely worth a trip. You could do Nuremberg on your way to or from a trip between Bamberg and Munich. If you do Bamberg and Rothenburg, you could skip Old Nuremberg and just visit the Nazi Party Rally Grounds.

Posted by
69 posts

PS - if you love gardens, DEFINITELY GO TO BAMBERG. The New Palace has a beautiful rose garden, and also one of the three main areas of town is named for its gardens.

Posted by
258 posts

There are alot of great day/side trips from Munich. Neuschwanstein Castle is easily done as a day trip. I, personally, would suggest staying overnight, to get that Bavarian/German countryside feel, but if your preference is to use Munich as a homebase, then visiting Neuschwanstein (and the smaller, but still fascinating Hohenschwangau castle, "Mad" King Ludwig's boy-hood home-"next door," so to speak, to Neusch) would make for a great side-trip. Rothenburg ob de Tauber is also a fantastic option. There, too, I would advise 1 night (I was glad I stayed overnight-it becomes much quieter/less touristy at night), but I know that most visitors to Rothenburh do it in 1 day. It's a beautiful, historic, mid-evil walled city, but it's pretty small and you could def get in moct of the highlights in 1 day. Some other, much closer side trips are: Dachau (I recall taking the S bahn out of Munich, around 45-ish min or so, and at the Dachau train station, there are busses marked "KZ" that take you to the camp/memorial/museum. Emotional experience, BUT an important one that sadly reminds us of Germany's horrifically dark past), the BMW Factory & Museum and the '72 Olympics stadium. They are across from each other. For anyone who's a car fan (as I am!), the BMW museum is great fun. I also did the factory tour (where they build 3 series BMWs, but you must arrange this beforehand, as they limit the # of people on each tour). And, time permitting, I agree w/ the posts above re: Bamberg. I had 1 day there, and foud it to be a very pretty, charming city, and the Cathedral is spectacular.

Posted by
258 posts

And, re: museums in Munich, I would strongly advise The Deutsches Museum (fantastic science museum; loved it) and the Pinakothek, Alte Pinakothek and Pinakothek der Moderne Museums, some of the bet art museums anywhere. Def give yourself plenty of time for these; you won't be disappointed!

Posted by
105 posts

I also vote for Nuremburg and Rothenburg. There's a great medieval criminal museum in Rothenburg that was quite interesting and different. The village is quite picturesque...surrounded by a castle wall, cobbled streets, clock towers and gates. We stayed with a friend in Nuremburg. She brought us around to the many beer gardens/pubs and to see the wide assortment of strangely disturbing & beautful statues. Good luck planning!

Posted by
69 posts

It's interesting that Lawrence recommends Rothenburg as an overnight because it gets quieter/less touristy at night. I've found Rothenburg has two speeds: "Touristy" and "Dead". "Touristy" is any day during the summer, and most days during the rest of the year. "Dead" is Sundays during the off-season, and at night. It reminds me of a small midwest town that rolls up the sidewalks at 8:00. I do usually avoid tourist traps, but I don't believe every single place that has gotten touristy shouldn't be visited. Rothenburg is one of those now-touristy places that is still worth a visit, but only a short one of maybe half a day. I would not recommend sleeping there. Spend that night in a more vibrant city like Bamburg, or even sleeping on an overnight train to get to another location rather than staying in Rothenburg.

Posted by
171 posts

Thanks to everyone who is replying! When I went to Munich last year, I didn't nearly have enough time to see and take the picutures I had planned. I am getting quite excited and figure if I had 3 months...it still wouldn't be enough time. I have a lot to plan because of all the help you have given me. You people are the best and I am so glad for this place to post and receive help. Thank you so very much!!!!
May 28 is getting closer!!!!

Posted by
258 posts

@ Mark, for the most part, I agree with you. Rothenburg WAS full of tourists, but I still enjoyed the main sites such as the Imperial Museum, the Church (forget name off-hand) w/ the amazing wood carving of the last supper, walking the wall, etc. I also enjoyed wandering through the gates and getting out of the town a bit; through 1 gate, you get a spectacular view of the entire city, with all of the orange and red roofs. But, you are 100% right re: "touristy." I was there in winter/holiday time, and even then, marveled at the # of day-trippers. And, of course, they hit the Kathy Wolfhart Xmas store in droves! Was almost comical to see, but still entertaining. Love how they sell/market xmas 365 days a year! Re: it being super quiet at night- right again. But I did enjoy going into a restaurant at night, and hearing mainly German; reminded me I was away. And as for "rolling up the sidewalks," well, I live in New York City, where it's noisy 24/7/365, so I actually LOVE experiencing dead-silent places when I can; nice break from Manhattan life! And I agree w/ you re: Bamburg. I didn't have much time there, but enjoyed seeing it. Charming, pretty city, and that cathedral was beautiful. Good suggestion there!

Posted by
1986 posts

We were last in Rothenburg May/June. Even during the day you can get away from the tourists- they seem to stick to the two main streets. walk on and outside the walls. Go down into the valley. Lunch can be a bear, but if you walk a little its easier. Late afternoon and evening is wonderful. All the restaurants are open and a lot of them are really good= especially if you step away from the market square. Also definitely the Night watchmens tour at night is fun. I didnt see many tourists in St Jacobs Church, the Doll Museum or Torture Museum- even at midday