Please sign in to post.

Germany Travel

We are a retired couple who need help. We will be visiting Germany, arriving October 3rd, and plan to visit Wurzburg,Rothenburg, and Munich. These are the 3 cities we are planning for overnights. We are looking for CURRENT information for INEXPENSIVE accommodations. We will be also visiting Austria during October and will be doing overnights in the following cities- Innsbruck, Salzburg and Vienna. We have no would like a room that is clean and within walking distance of the center of town. Specifics would be greatly appreciated

Posted by
2788 posts

Do you have a copy of RS Germany Guide book yet? If so, great. If not, I would suggest you get one as soon as possible as it is full of very useful information that we used when we visited Germany in June of this year. If you need to get that guide book, it can be ordered elsewhere on this web site and I have not connection to the RS organization. Happy travels

Posted by
3 posts

My family and I just returned from Germany and we were in Munich for 13 days. We used RS travel guides during our entire trip. I've also used the guide books on prior trips. One of the hotel recommendations -- Muenchner Kindl -- is a definite mistake -- we reserved our rooms 2 months prior and when we arrived, we were not on their books and they were very unhelpful in trying to find 3 of us accommodations for 13 days in Munich. Luckily the Apart Hotel on Sonnenstrasse had room for us -- they were great. Muenchner Kindle gets negative ratings in my opinion.

Posted by
19092 posts

How did you make the reservation at Münchner Kindl? Was it through a booking website? Did you reserve through their website? or did you write directly? If the latter, did you make it very clear that you were confirming the reservation? Many times Americans will ask for reservations when they just want price and availability and have written to several properties. Then they reserve in one of the places and don't tell the others. I've heard hosts in Germany complain about Americans "making" reservations, then not showing up. So, it is essential when making a reservation in Germany that you be very specific that you are confirming it. Not saying you didn't; just suggesting a possibility.

Posted by
6637 posts

"We are looking for CURRENT information for INEXPENSIVE accommodations." I had a small apartment in Neustadt an der Aisch for several nights this May. Rothenburg, Würzburg, Nuremberg and Bamberg are accessible by train from Neustadt; round trip to Rothenburg for two is 16,80€ on a local daypass. Round trip to Würzburg for two is 26€ on a Bayern ticket daypass. Apartment Cost for two for 4 nights is 27€/night. Web page is HERE.

Posted by
419 posts

I would suggest going to Booking.com and checking what's available in the cities you want to visit. The information there is very complete on hotels, including maps which will show you the location of the hotel in relation to what you want to see.

Posted by
19092 posts

"We are looking for CURRENT information for INEXPENSIVE accommodations." In my experience, I have not found any booking website to be consistent with inexpensive. I also don't think they are very complete, as they don't seem to offer the inexpensive accommodations. I have always found my accommodations using the town websites, and have consistently spent less than what I could have found on any booking website. I like Russ's suggestion. Also try www.wuerzburg.de/en/. Six years ago I stayed at Pension Spehnkuch. I found it myself on the Würzburg site, but later found it recommended in Rick's book. Unfortunately it was too good to be true and is no longer operating. Another place to try is Ansbach, www.ansbach.de. Look under Tourismus. Years ago I stayed in Zur Windmühle (at the Windmill). It was good then, but I don't know about now. As for Munich, forget it. Their booking service is a captive of HRS.com :( . Use Rick's book.

Posted by
1481 posts

More Information is preferable to less. Town websites can be useful but highly variable in Format and quality. Booking.com has an excellent reputation. My favorite is HRS.com. There is no reason not to look at various sources, including Rick's book.

Posted by
19092 posts

More information is preferrable to less, true. And that's why I say to try the town website. They have more information. Sometimes it is only in German, but there are a few keywords that can lead you to the Unterkunftverzeichnis, or listing of accommodations. Look for Tourismus, Übernachten, Unterkünfte. In the past, I have compared what I have found on town websites with what is available from booking websites for that town. I've found almost everything from the booking websites on the town website, plus 100% to 150% more, particularly on the more economical (not necessarily cheaper) end. In particular, Zimmers, which I have learned to appreciate, are far more likely to be listed on a town's website. No secret here; booking websites take around 15% off the top, so unless the property has a lot of extra cost already built in (which you pay for), they can't afford to be listed on booking sites. One host, who was listed only with the town website's Verzeichnis, told me he payed about 50€ per year for the listing, plus had to work two weekend days a year in the town's tourist office.

Posted by
8141 posts

Don't worry about getting clean rooms in Germany and Austria. Even very inexpensive accommodations in this region are very, very clean. Have you looked at Booking.com? This is now the premier place on the web to find rooms of every category. I especially enjoy bed and breakfasts when traveling where you're going.
Try K&T Boardinghouse in Vienna. I've stayed there twice, and they now have a second property. The accommodations, price and location cannot be beat.

Posted by
328 posts

Having worked in the hotel industry for many years, I don't have any issue with using sites like booking.com but it is worth knowing that not all of an area's accommodation will be listed on the site. Also, hotels have to pay a relatively large percentage of the rate (sometimes as high as 20-30%) you book through to booking.com (or expedia, hotels.com, etc) back to booking.com. This can be a huge burden for a small independent hotel but they can't afford not to be on sites like booking.com anymore since this is where many people look for their accommodation. Third party sites like booking.com are a great tool to find a hotel but I strongly suggest cross-reference with tripadvisor (for reviews and to make sure you are seeing all the options) and then contact the hotel directly to book. You will usually get the same and sometimes a better price if you contact the hotel yourself. I know this doesn't answer the question the OP asked but thought I'd weigh in on the booking.com discussion.

Posted by
8 posts

We stayed at the Gasthof Goldener Greifen. Lovely hotel, great breakfast and right on the main street in the town center.

Posted by
2399 posts

I have always started with the town websites, with excellent results. On some sites, if there is an English version, it may be less comprehensive than the German language version.