Please sign in to post.

Germany and Austria in May 2010

My wife and I are planning a 15 to 16 day trip to Germany and Austria in May, 2010. We already have booked an independent Passion Play package for Oberammergau (one night there). As neither of us have been to Germany or Austria we have some planning questions. 1. The following come to mind to see - Frankfurt, Rhein River area, Romantic Road, Munich, Bavaria, Reutte, Neuschwanstein (the castles in general), Berchtesgaden, Salzburg, Vienna, Innsbruck. Any thoughts on this being do-able or thoughts on this itinerary? 2. We are planning to rent a car for this trip? Thoughts? 3. Suggestions on this itinerary regarding the sequence to do it? Anything else we should add to it? 4. Any thoughts on how crowded the Oberammergau/Bavaria area will be with Passion Play visitors? Will the crowdedness affect Munich? 5. Any thoughts on flying to and from the same city vs. open jaw? Thank you for your advice!

Posted by
5 posts

We did most of what you outlined last Septmeber, although we didn't do Vienna. First take a GPS along with Germany/Austria maps. Not much to see in Frankfurt, less desireable than when I was stationed near there in the late 60's. Your dates in Oberammergau, will likely drive the order you do the trip, Frankurt is a good entry or exit point. The cost of turning the car in at other than the orgin point will determine if you want to go open jaws. If you start in Frankfurt, Rothenburg is an easy drive from the airport, definately do the Night Watchmans tour, we then drove to Munich stopping at Dachau on the way in. The areas you mention in Germany are fairly close together. We used a hotel near Neuschwanstein as a base and drove to other castles in the area as well as Insbruck (Don't forget to get an Austrian Toll sticker) also make sure your car has a Green Badge that allows you to drive into the center of the Major cities in Germany like Munich. Gas was much cheaper in Austria, so fill up when you dip into Austria. Definately do the Rhein River area, we stayed in Bachrach, but took the train to Kolhn, also took the train to Koblance and boat back to Bachrach. All the areas you list are definately worth the trip. I would add Nurenburg to your list.

Posted by
12040 posts

Skip Reutte- why Rick makes such a big deal out of this completely ordinary little town, I have no idea.

"Will the crowdedness affect Munich?" The Passion Play causes barely a blip compared to Oktoberfest. Munich will be no different from every other non-Oktoberfest time of the year.

Posted by
2908 posts

Hi again,

Just writing to "second" Tom's opinion of Reutte. I haven't a clue what seperates this town from every other Austrian town. So many are much nicer IMO. We visited twice only because we were in the area and passing by. The second time was just to confirm what we thought the first tme... nothing special at all.

Paul

Posted by
8945 posts

Hopefully, Tom will return to Frankfurt to see how completely different this city is now than what it used to be, back in the 60's, 70's, and even the 80's. It is a hugely cultural city today, with large investments made in the arts, the museums, and the many historic structures that dot the city. It is a lively, great place to live, with beautiful old neighborhoods, lots of cafes, farmers markets and fests.

Did you know that one of the oldest churches (850 years old) in Germany is in Frankfurt? Did you know that in the middle of downtown there are 3 medieval (dating back to 1219) churches that suffered almost no damage in the war, that the imperial cathedral where the coronations took place is here? We have a cloister that has the largest wall paintings North of the Alps, 150 meters worth, and these were painted in 1513. Frankfurt has over 40 museums and some of these are really world class places. Look up the Staedel, the Museum of Modern Art, the Schirn, or the Deutsche Architecture Museum. Did you know that Frankfurt had the 2nd largest Jewish population in Germany before the war and of course has many places here to commemorate this fact. This includes one of the most moving Holocaust Memorials I have ever seen.

Writing off Frankfurt is sad. There is a lot here to see and do.

Posted by
524 posts

For your consideration:

Day 1: travel day, fly into Frankfurt

Day 2: Bacharach - explore the Rhein

Day 3: Bacharach - venture over to Mosel (Burg Elz)

Day 4: Bacharach - day trip to Koln (see cathedral)

Day 5: Rothenburg - Nightwatchman's tour

Day 6: Rothenburg - relax, take in town, torture museum

Day 7: Oberammergau - settle in and relax

Day 8: Oberammergau - Passion Play

Day 9: Morning trip to Neuschwanstein, end at Munich

Day 10: Munich - tour Residence, English Garden, stop at Hofbrauhaus

Day 11: Munich - day trip to Dachau, explore Munich in afernoon

Day 12: Salzburg (?? never been)

Day 13: Salzburg (?? never been)

Day 14: Vienna - tour palace (Sisi Museum, apartments, treasury)

Day 15: Vienna - day trip to Wachau and see Melk Abbey. Tour the Danube river region.

Day 16: Vienna - tour cathedral, eat schnitzel at Figmulers, check out the market area.

Day 17: fly home

Posted by
192 posts

We really enjoyed touring the Herrenchiemsee castle. It is a stop midway between Munich and Salzburg(about an hour from each)on the rail. You take a boat to the island that the castle is located on --the scenery is quite beautiful.

Posted by
96 posts

Bacharach is a definite must. I've been there three times. I'd forgo Rothenburg, though - IMO, it's a touristy town worth a day's visit at best. The Mosel river area is great, also, but I found that I liked the Rhine area better. You could also swing over to Alsace-Loraine, and do Colmar ( if you're so inclined ).

Munich is a great city, with lots of outdoor things to do. If you go, I highly recommend a Mike's Bikes bike tour ( the all-day one if possible ). I found Salzburg to be a great town, very pedestrian friendly and picturesque. Vienna is a wonderful city, with so much to do - I highly recommend going there. Not to throw a wrench into your plans, but you could go to Prague from Vienna ( about a four hour train ride, I think ) for a few days. Prague is unbelievable! A great place worth spending some time in.

I would recommend flying into Frankfurt, then out of Vienna if possible. If not, fly out of Munich. You'll save a ton of time traveling that way.

Posted by
19093 posts

In 2002, I spent 1½ days in Rothenburg and felt it was well worth the time. I also spent a day in Salzburg and felt it was enough. Don't forgo Rothenburg for Salzburg.

I, too, can't figure what Rick finds in Reutte. Maybe the place he recommends are better than what I saw in my stop there last year. Just up the tracks a few km, in Germany, is the area called Pfronten, actually a series of villages that have grown together. I far prefer Pfronten to Reutte. Pfronten is a much more livable village and it has better connections to Füssen.

Posted by
17 posts

Agreed that Amy's itinerary looks good. I would strongly recommend Salzburg - charming and beautiful old town. If you'd like to continue the mountain feel and also a charming pedestrian area, Insbruck might also be worth considering.