Please sign in to post.

Germany ????

If you only had one week to see Germany how would you plan your week?

and What month would you choose to go?

Your help would very much be appreicated.

Posted by
349 posts

Munich is the answer now you read some books and get the questions

Posted by
5678 posts

This really depends on your interests. I would go to Berlin for 3 days because it's an interesting city and it's got lots of interesting 20th century history. Then I would either go to the south--Munich etc. Or, to the Rhine. Another interesting possibility, would be Dresden Thuringia. There are wonderful castles and you can visit Wartburg where Luther hurled the ink pot at the devil. Pam

Posted by
1479 posts

I would suggest that you review a comprehensive travel guide like Michelin Green Guide and see what fires your imagination.

We all have our personal preferences. Munich would be low on my list of priorities but it is quite understandable that others might put it first.

I keep going back to Franken (Franconia) for its medieval cities and rivers. That certainly would leave some others cold.

As others have said, research is the answer. If you just want to go with the herd, Rick's Books create their own following and are as good a start as any. Read his suggestions on this website.

Regards, Gary

Posted by
19091 posts

Everyone has their own preferences, but I really love Munich and the mountainous area south of there. I was there the first time in 1987, and I loved it so much I've been back 6 times, twice in March (weather not that good) and 3 times around Labor Day. My favorite time, however, was in October. October is not too hot, not too cold yet, and the driest month in Munich.

One of the nice things about Bavaria is that you don't need the cost, risk, or inconvenience of a car. There is plenty of good public transportation and with a Bayern-Ticket 2-5 people can go almost anywhere for only €28/day.

Zum Schluxen, as far as I can tell, is not real well connected to public transportation, but just up the valley from Reutte, in Germany, Pfronten has many accessible accommodations, such as Gasthof Aggenstein, which is next to a bus stop and about a 30 min ride to Füssen.

As for the Romantic Road, except for Füssen and Rothenburg, which anchor it, it's pretty much overrated. I spent five days exploring it in 2007, traveling just a few hours a day and visiting almost every town. The Road itself is mediocre, just a meandering country road, choked with truck and farm equipment traffic. A few towns on the Road stood out, Landsberg am Lech and Nördlingen. Both are accessible by train, but even they aren't that impressive. See Füssen, take the train up to Rothenburg. Maybe see Bamberg and Würzburg while up there. Spend the rest of the time in the Alps.

Take the train to Berchtesgaden. I would spend three days (four nights) there, one day exploring the town and riding the boat on Königssee, another seeing Kehlsteinhaus (Eagles' Nest) and the Dokumentation Center, and on another take the bus into Salzburg.

Posted by
375 posts

Regarding what month to go: The weather in Germany can be iffy any time of the year. Although I love Spring (which usually lasts through June), I wouldn't think that the best time if I only had one week because it can be so changeable so rapidly. I wouldn't pick August because so many Europeans vacation at that time and things can get very much more crowded than usual. I'd probably choose July or September or early October. As for where, I'm particularly fond of the Rhine and Moselle valley regions, so I would work that in. A day cruise on the Rhine, hopping on and off to explore towns and castle ruins, is a fine thing to do.

Posted by
258 posts

I've been to Germany twice--once in Fall and once in Dec at Christmas time. W/ 1 week, I think if you focused on S. Germany in Fall (less crowded than summer, comfortable weather)- w/ Munich as your 1st destination & then doing side trips from there, you'll see a beautiful part of the country and get a good taste of it. You could do something like this- 2 nights in Munich (seeing highlights incl. the Frauenkirche, Marienplatz, Alte Pinakotech, Neue Pinakotech & Pinakotech der Moderne Museums, Deutsches Museum-great science museum- English Gardens, Hofbrauhaus and day/morning side trip to Dachau Concentration Camp), side-trip from Munich OR spend a night in S. Bavaria (such as town of Fussen- convenient for seeing Neuschwanstein Castle or resort town Garmish-Partenkirschen-only about 1.5 hrs by train from Munich, from which it's very easy to see sights like Neuschwanstein, Tegelberg & the Zugspitze-highest point in Germany, accessible by cable car to top-spectacular views). With 3 or 4 more days, another great stop could be 1 night in Rothenburg Ob De Tauber- preserved midevil walled city. Then the last few days, you could go further west (still remaining in southern half of country) and spend a night or 2 in the Black Forest (in spa town of Baden-Baden, doing the famous Friedrishbad Spa). Or if you did not want to head west, you could, as a side trip from Munich,or spend night, in Salzburg, Austria- only a few hrs by train from Munich, beautiful Baroque city, but 1 easily done in a day, wandering around the old town, Mozart's Birthouse/museum going up to the fortress, etc. Good luck planning your trip!

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you all for posting. You have giving me a lot to think about and plan for.

I really appreciate that you took the time to respond and that you gave me so much information to take into consideration on planning my trip.

What a wonderful board this is.

Posted by
16 posts

One week, I agree, Munich and the mountains south (which inclues the castles, Neuschwanstein, Hoenschwangau and Linderhof), and maybe spend a night or two in Rothenberg (as Rick writes in his book, touristy but worth it). You need at least 3 days for Munich, a day (or 2) for the castles, so that would be your week.

An alternative would be to spend it on the Rhine (Bacharch, St. Goar) and the Mosel (Burz Eltz) and maybe get up to Koln to see the cathedral.

Germany is gorgeous and in my opinion, highly underrated as a travel destination. We really loved it.

Posted by
4 posts

That is easy: get on the first plane to CDG !Viola.Robert

Posted by
48 posts

I traveled to Munich 3 years ago around the beginning of October, and had a very great experience. Munich was in the middle of a 6 city itinerary for me, and it happened to be during Oktoberfest. The weather was perfect. We spent 3 days there, which was plenty of time to see the top sights, and take a half day trip to Dachau.

Posted by
115 posts

I LOVE southern Germany. If I could recommend to a friend I would say fly into Munich and stay for 3 or so nites/days.take the hop-on/hop-off bus tour and see what interests you, but definitely stop and see Nymphemberg castle. and another day,take day trips (hotels have bus info etc) to Neuschwanstein castle (if it interests you) and/or a train trip (just over an hour) to Salzburg Austria and see some of the old city and its fortress and maybe take a horse drawn ride there. (I could spend many days in that city) and take train back to Munich. Then rent a car or take train to the Garmisch Patenkirchen town and either stay at or definitely eat at the gasthof Fraundorfer. They have local boys do a traditional dance with accordian music and the food is wonderful. Next day -if weather is clear- take the cable car to the top of Zugspitz where in June there is still snow in places and wonderful views. You can also go to the Linderhof castle not too far away and see why he was called crazy Ludwig! That castle is the one I would recommend you see if you only see one. And next drive up to Rothensburg for one or two nites. Take the Nightwatchmans tour like Rick says and walk along the ancient walls also. Then I would leave from Frankfurt...I would have NO desire to see that city..as it is too modern and like american cities according to friends here....If you can I would definitely fly into one city and out another...gives you more flexiblity..I have gone to Southern Germany twice and would go again tomorrow if I had the chance....so much to see. I would go in the first week of June (I did May/June before) or the mid September/October time...just beware of the crowded nature of Munich the month of Sept...Octoberfest time and book early.

Posted by
1976 posts

I would recommend spending the whole week in Berlin - I was there for abour 4 days and still feel like I didn't see a lot.

Hamburg and Hannover are also nice cities - beautiful museums, lots to see just on the street in terms of architecture, war memorials, etc.

In terms of smaller towns, I enjoyed Aachen, Cologne, and Trier. Aachen and Cologne are not far from each other, while Trier is a 3-hour train ride away.

Posted by
791 posts

I'd recommend flying into Munich, couple days there, then some combination of the following, as time allows: Fussen (Neuschwanstein Castle), Rothenburg, Wurzburg (Residenz, Marionburg Fortress), Heidelberg, Bacharach (take a Rhine River cruise), Frankfurt (see the city, then fly home from there).

Posted by
8938 posts

Frankfurt is just as much of a typical German city as any other city here, but it is nothing like an American city other than the fact that it has some skyscrapers. Don't believe all the bad press you read. It is actually one of the older cities in Germany, having had a large Roman garrison here by 100 A.D. with at least a 1000 residents. The 1st palace was built in 680, though the Frankish royalty were living all over the place here, by the 400's.

The city is very lively with lots of fests and a very international population, has lots of museums and art galleries, wonderful turn of the century architecture, several medieval churches, including one of the oldest churches in Germany, built in 850. It has the coronation cathedral, the home of the 1st elected parliament in 1848, and many historical Jewish sites. Frankfurt was home to one of the largest Jewish ghettos for well over 300 years, and had the 2nd largest Jewish population in Germany before the nazis took over. I will guess that you didn't know we had the largest wall paintings north of the Alps, painted in 1513, truly beautiful too. If you do make it here, try and visit one of our daily farmers markets held in one of our lovely old neighborhoods, or at the least, go inside the Klein Markt Halle, our indoor produce market. Even Germans from Munich wish they had this.

Yes, I realize Frankfurt isn't on the top of anyones tourist destination list, though it easily could be if one takes a bit of time to discover all the bits the guidebooks leave out. It makes a great base city though for day trips and it certainly has enough things here to see to keep one busy for a few days at least.

Ok, my little rave about this city that I have become passionate about is over. Thanks for listening! :-))

Posted by
719 posts

As for timing, I'd catch it when the Biergartens are running. This is a big German cultural pastime, and should be experienced. I definitely would not miss Neuschwanstein Castle (linderhof is great too, but a little further away), and Rothenburg ob der Tauber. If you have interest in Nazi History (or even if you don't, my wife doesn't,but was fascinated by) the Rally Grounds in Nurnberg or Dachau Camp. If wine is your thing, then a river cruise down the Rhine or Mosel will be the ticket. Munich is an obvious choice, and is a good take off point for much of southern Germany. Above all: Kings Castles and Rothenburg ob der Tauber.

Posted by
12172 posts

I'd do the Koln, the middle Rhine (Bacharach/St. Goar), Wurtzburg, Munich. If I felt I had more time, I'd add Salzburg, Rhotenburg and Neuschwanstein (in that order). Since it's a relatively short distance, you can pack quite a bit in.