Please sign in to post.

Geneva to Nice

Further to my first question on our travel plans, if we go to Nice for the remaining 4 days (5nights) would a day trip to Grasse and/or Italian Riviera be a good idea?

Posted by
11294 posts

From Nice, a day trip to Grasse is possible by bus or train. But the Italian Riviera and the French Riviera don't have speedy connections. You take a train to Ventimiglia (the Italian border town), then change, and then probably change again. Even San Remo (close to the border) takes about an hour and a half with one change; Sestri Levanti (close to the Cinque Terre) takes 5 hours and 2 changes. However, there are a squadron of daytrip possiblities from Nice. Besides Grasse, there's Monaco, Antibes, Cannes, Menton, Cagnes, Eze, La Turbie, Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat, Villa Ephrussi, Villefranche...all an hour or less from Nice. Rick Steves Provence And The French Riviera has all the details of each one and how to get there (far more than his general France book).

Posted by
46 posts

Thanks Harold, I think we Agree it is to much. Just another case of trying to see to much. We will do Grasse for sure and I think spend the rest of the time in the area and enjoy it. Any hotel suggestions? I have RS books and studying them.
Mary

Posted by
345 posts

If you only have four days, I would spend the time in Nice and along the French Riviera. There are so many things to do just in Nice that four days won't be enough. Look at RS's Provence book and see the list of his things to do and see. You will need to return to finish this area and then go to the Italian Riviera!