Please sign in to post.

Geneva Switzerland

While my husband is working after the New Year my children and I are planning a quick trip from the little town of Gossau near St. Gallen to Geneva. We have been to many areas in Switzerland but have never had enough time for Geneva. My children are 10 and 14. What should we see and do? We will take the train and stay somewhere central. Hotel ideas would be helpful.

Posted by
31 posts

Here's some ideas from a trip we took last summer: Gruyeres tour at 9:00 a.m. -6:30 p.m. (Viator or Keytours). Meet at Gare Routiere Bus Station @ Keytours stand. "Set off and discover traditional produce while taking in Switzerland's landscapes on a full day combined coach and train trip from Geneva. Descend the hills to Montreux, overlooking Lake Geneva and the towering Alps. In between, you'll savor chocolate, cheese and wine tastings to round out your full day trip. We will first visit the chocolate factory of Broc (Nestlé - Cailler) where you can taste his famous chocolate. Will then continue our gastronomic discovery in a cheese-dairy where you will sample some local manufactured cheese. Then you will have some free time in the village of Gruyeres to relax or visit his castle overhanging the entire Gruyere region. Next we will catch the Panoramic Golden Express, this train passes above the Lake Leman to enjoy the panoramic view of the beautiful countryside around the lake. After that, we will take the bus again to cover the Lavaux vineyards road, classified one of the most beautiful place of this world by the Unesco, to reach the village of Epaisse." Castles Boat Cruise (Swiss Boat) @ 10:15 a.m. Reserved via email; pick up tickets (24 E or 35 CHF p/p) at 9:45 a.m. at Quai du Mont-Blanc - Geneva, in front of the hotel Beau-Rivage. Afternoon self-guided walking tour of Geneva. Pick up audio guides at Tourism office Rue du Mont Blanc 18. 10 CHF p/p. We stayed at Hotel Edelweiss--good location and reasonably priced for Geneva. Your children may enjoy the "oompah" entertainment in their restaurant.